Good base recipe for APA/IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakead

Reaction score
I'm looking to brew on my nice 3 day weeknd and use it as an opportunity to explore with some hops that I have been meaning to experiment with. Not sure what my local store has in stock so I figuire I will pick some out when I go up there.

My question, does anyone have a good base recipe for an APA or an IPA in terms of the grain bill. I would like to play around with the additions depending on the hops that I get. Looking to make something very floral/citrusy so I just need something to balance or excentuate the hops.

this is what I use for an IPA - OG around 1.068 for a 5.5 Gbatch @ 80% efficiency
10 lb two row pale
2 lb vienna
.5 carapils
.5 crystal

I play with the crystal to get different beers. I might use anything from 10L to 60L or a mix of light and darker (up to 120 or special b). I know a lot of people might say to not use any crystal at all, but I prefer my IPAs to have some residual sweetness to support the bitterness. When it gets too dry, I lose any malt flavor, and the beer tastes 'empty' to me.

Nice, that sounds like a plan . I agree with the crystal, just enough to support and not overwhelm a hoppy beer.

I see you made Yooper's hoppy amber, I made that awhile back and you will not be dissapointed.

this was my first. and man it is good. did not do a secondary! or dry hoping.
Easy Pale Ale

This is an excellent easy drinking beer. It's also a great base recipe when you want to try something new. Not overpowering or outstanding in any way, but very smooth and easy to replicate. Different hops, yeast, grains, and special ingredients will make this recipe your own creation very quickly.

7 lbs. Light liquid malt extract
.5 lbs. Crystal malt(40L)
.5 lbs. Special Roast
.25 lbs. Vienna malt
1 tsp. Gypsum(after grain steep, before boil)
2 tsp. Irish Moss(last 20 min. of boil)
White Labs001 California Ale, Wyeast 1056 American Ale, or yeast of your choice

Hop Schedule
1 oz. Cascade hops@60 min.
.5 oz. Amarillo hops@60 min.
.5 oz. Cascade hops@30 min.
.5 oz. Amarillo hops@30 min.
.5 oz. Cascade hops@2 min.
.5 oz. Amarillo hops@2 min.
.5 oz. Amarillo hops-Dry hop(in secondary)

It's business as usual with this recipe. Steep your grains @ 155F for 30 min. Remove the grains, add the malt extract, bring to a boil, and follow the hop schedule above. Cool, top up to 5 gallons, pitch your yeast, and relax. Ferment for 7 days in primary, rack over to a secondary, wait 7 more days then bottle or keg.

O.G- 1.052 SRM- 12 ABV- 5.2%
F.G.- 1.012 IBU's- 30

Nice, that sounds like a plan . I agree with the crystal, just enough to support and not overwhelm a hoppy beer.

I see you made Yooper's hoppy amber, I made that awhile back and you will not be dissapointed.

I actually just kegged it last night. This was the second batch I've made, great recipe.

Back