Gone to the Dog.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saxmk6

Reaction score
Yesterday I receive my all grain kit from my favorite HBS. I inspect the box check the grain and I am thinking to myself that this weekend os going to be good. As the evening went on, I decided to get everything set up and take it to the basement the next day. Well much to my demise, I find that my dog happens to like grain. Not only did he tear the grain open be he decided that it is tasty to eat as much grain as possible. I am guessing about 2 lbs. Dam Dog! The worst part of it its a dachshund......Its going to take a week to get through him.

So needless to say, I need to buy more grain, and my dog will be regular for weeks to come, and I shall not leave my grains in reach of the dog again.
:eek:

I have to be careful when milling grain - my beagle has a taste for Maris Otter. He'll stick his head in the bucket and steal a couple bites.

At least he has good taste in base malt. :D

Just a rehash, you probably know, but hops are poison to dogs. I don't know if you had hops in the same bag, but it is something to consider for the future. There are a few threads about it.

Luck

The worst part of it its a dachshund......Its going to take a week to get through him.

perhaps you could try to follow him around till he s#*ts it out and use it in your brew. Kind of like Kopi Luwak coffee where these little animals eat the coffee cherry and the locals pick up the defecated bean and sell it. It's the most expensive coffee in the world. Perhaps you could invent the nastiest yet most expensive dachshund brew in the world.

My doxie enjoys malted barley as well. If I spill when filling the crusher hopper, there she is. I will through her some just because.

Just a rehash, you probably know, but hops are poison to dogs.

No,
No,
No,
No,
and
NO.

This is right up there with aluminum and Alzheimer's. Total BS and WILL NOT DIE!

No,
No,
No,
No,
and
NO.

This is right up there with aluminum and Alzheimer's. Total BS and WILL NOT DIE!

Yeah, there's only one ACTUAL warning bulletin, and it is cited everywhere, and as a direct quote, not a re-write, clearly not from a different source, but like so many urban legends just a cut and paste....

Back on topic, there is at least one recipe for dog cookies using spent grain on here, of course that might enable his new addiction.

:D

No,
No,
No,
No,
and
NO.

Well, thanks for straightening me out on that. I didn't say they would die.:rolleyes: And yes, just reiterating what I heard here.

I am glad to hear it as I have not been composting as much as I could, because I did not want the dogs to get into it.

Do you have any definitive sources?

Thanks.

Sean

Well, thanks for straightening me out on that. I didn't say they would die.:rolleyes: And yes, just reiterating what I heard here.

I am glad to hear it as I have not been composting as much as I could, because I did not want the dogs to get into it.

Do you have any definitive sources?

Thanks.

Sean

That's the problem with this one sean, there is no definitive answer either way. There is just the original memo, which if you google you will read, and the cut and paste reiterations of it spread out on the web, with no more depth than just the memo.

Hops induced Malignant Hyperthermia in Dogs

So if you google malignant hypothermia or dogs and hops, you will basically see exactly the same tale repeated over and over, nothing more...so there's no way to prove it either way.

Interesting enough if you look in the merk vetrinary manual, you find no mention of hops (at least I couldn't)

Merck Veterinary Manual

So I lean towards possible urban legend, rather than medical fact. It really reminds me of the Myspace Rapist urban legend that goes round and round the web.

That's the problem with this one sean, there is no definitive answer either way. There is just the original memo, which if you google you will read, and the cut and paste reiterations of it spread out on the web, with no more depth than just the memo.

Hops induced Malignant Hyperthermia in Dogs

So if you google malignant hypothermia or dogs and hops, you will basically see exactly the same tale repeated over and over, nothing more...so there's no way to prove it either way.

Interesting enough if you look in the merk vetrinary manual, you find no mention of hops (at least I couldn't)

Merck Veterinary Manual

So I lean towards possible urban legend, rather than medical fact. It really reminds me of the Myspace Rapist urban legend that goes round and round the web.

As much as we vet's like to "Merck it or Kirk it" for the answers, those two books don't always have all the answers :D

There are only a couple of reported cases of MH attributed to hops ingestion reported in JAVMA, and only a couple published articles floating around the other journals. (just did a search of the literature, but can't post results due to y'all not paying large amounts of $$ to suscribe...)

To sum it up, it is POSSIBLE, but not PROBABLE. So don't go feeding your greyhound the hops from your IIPA, but don't stress every time a hop leaf hits the floor:mug:

-(soon to be) Dr. Deathweed

...-(soon to be) Dr. Deathweed

So Doc,

Can you help me with my dog? Seems he has an identity crisis.

ugly_dog.jpg

Back