Golden Sour recipe, hows it look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitchard

Reaction score
So I am going to be brewing an 11 gallon batch of a golden sour, based pretty closely off of the The Rare Barrel golden base. The TRB grain bill calls for 6% Spelt Malt, which I replaced with additional wheat. It also calls for 6% Special Aromatic. Unfortunately, I didn't note Special, and went with 6% of "normal" Aromatic. MTF Wiki recommends replacing Special Aromatic with Vienna or Light Munich, but its a little too late as the grain is all milled and mixed now.

So long story short, how does this look? Should I expect anything weird from the aromatic vs the special?

Batch Size: 11 Gallons
Est. OG: 1.050
Est.Color: 5.4 SRM
Mash: 60 minutes at 154 (May change the temp upon suggestion?)
Boil: 60 minutes

14.45# 2-Row (70.2%)
3.67# Wheat Malt (17.8)
1.24# Aromatic Malt (6%)
1.24# Flaked Oats (6%)

.19oz Sazz for 60 min (Est. IBU of 2.3, may do less)

Half will get Melange Sour Blend from The Yeast Bay + various dregs.
The other half will get Wyeast Belgian Lambic Blend + various dregs.

i think it looks good. I doubt you are going to be able to tell the difference if you used aromatic vs special. The sour character really becomes the entire beer. Ive made black sours that are pretty hard to even pick out the roast that was there under all the sour character

Looks just like the type of golden base that I've been thinking about. I think I'll brew this recipe next week and use the Sour Solera Blend from Bootleg Biology plus some Russian River and Jolly Pumpkin dregs.

Looks good to me. I'm actually about to do nearly the same thing to brew a 14 gallon batch to kick off my solera project. I also figured the sour/Brett characteristics would steal the show here, so wasn't terribly worried about ensuring I had spelt and special aromatic in my grain bill. I also subbed in more whet and went with Vienna. My last golden sour was just pilsner/wheat, and it is freaking delicious, so this is actually trying a bit harder.

Latest posts

Back