Golden Promise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr_Jeff

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So last week when I was at the brewery where I get my grain, they had one bag of Golden Promise.
I grabbed it in addition to the others that I bought with no real plans for it, kinda a spur of the moment thing, hadn't seen it available before.

Best uses to make it stand out?

I'm up for most styles and have all sorts of hops and specialty grains.

English bitter. Great in a smash with EKG or Bramling Cross or Fuggle…

Really any British or Scottish recipe will benefit from this malt.

That said, I wouldn’t necessarily wasted in a stout or Porter has it is a more nuanced flavor profile would probably be lost mixed with a darker grain.

It’s my favorite UK base malt

I'm currently drinking a really nice strong Scottish ale based on Traquair. Practically a GP/EKG SMaSH.

1.070 OG
30 IBU

98% GP
2% Roasted (maybe black, I get them mixed up)

EKG at 60m
Some at 0m if you feel like it.

This last batch used Imperial Tartan. Batch before was really great with 1084 Irish. I imagine any of the Scottish strains, 1007, 1450, etc would work. Traquair uses Notty I believe.

A sack of GP...lucky you!

Though there are some subtle differences, it's quite close to Maris Otter. I've used GP in place of MO (and vice-versa). You could use it for most any English, Irish, Scottish beers. I've made nice stouts with it as the base. You could make a decent SMaSH with some of that and your favorite hop.

Agree with the English bitter suggestion … but I also use it in an American IPA - along with 2 row - to give your IPA a little more backbone, a la Surly Furious … Minnesota’s finest. Cheers.

I vote IPA, but everyone else nailed the mark too. Versatile base malt. I've used it in neipas with great results.

I made a really good wee heavy with it and carafa lll, love that stuff

I would go for it. I haven't used Idaho7 solo, but with Azacca and Strata in a Fantastic Haze clone that I'm quite happy about...

Cheers!

I would go for it. I haven't used Idaho7 solo, but with Azacca and Strata in a Fantastic Haze clone that I'm quite happy about...

Cheers!

I don't have either of those, but do have Simcoe and Citra, as well as a bunch of different C hops, along with others.
Also have Idaho Gem.

I just got the Idaho 7 and wanted to see how it would be, hence the SMaSH beer.

Or I could change things up, and say to heck with SMaSH, add in a bit of Carapils or another caramel malt, along with a bunch of hops and some table sugar, and end up with a DIPA that knocks your teeth out with that hop kick.

Golden Promise and Idaho 7 are two of my favorite ingredients. If I had that hand, I'd play it.
I know I read somewhere that Idaho 7 works best when whirlpooled -stepped at 170*, according to Scott Janish, I think??.

I've got a grisette fermenting now with GP as the base. Saaz kettle hops, a small EKG dry hop. We'll see how it turns out.

Excellently. A light grainy sweetness supports the mildly spicy Belgian saison yeast and noble kettle hops. The EKG dry hop ties right in. Very nice, full flavor, lawn mower beer.

20220820_151438.jpg

Back