Golden Promise in blonde ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El_Condor

Reaction score
Good folks,

I was considering the qualities of Golden Promise for use as a base malt in an American blonde ale (I do concede that that would make it not a purely American beer) . Has anyone had any success or otherwise doing this? If so, what other recipe ingredients did you find to be complementary to this grain?

Gracias,
EC

- EC

I haven't used this malt, but I've heard it's similar to Maris Otter. With that in mind, I would just use 100% Golden Promise if I was making a blonde ale with it. For me blondes are pretty mellow beers that don't have a ton of malt character, so I think you'd probably get more than enough from just using the Golden Promise. Again though, this is all based on the fact that I've heard it's similar to Maris Otter. I've never brewed with the stuff. For hops, I like the usual American culprits in a blonde ale - I think the last blonde I made used a little Amarillo and Centennial late in the boil with some Warrior at 60min for bittering. I believe I did a small (.5oz maybe?) dry hop as well just for kicks. Lately I use WLP090 for all of my ales, so that's what I used on the blonde. US-05 or any other relatively neutral strain that you like would be mighty fine though.

Hopefully this $0.02 is useful to you in some way.

Cheers and enjoy the brew.

The brewpub near me uses GP as base malt for their blonde and it's exceptionally good.

Generally I love GP and I think it blows MO out of the water.

Thank for the replies, amigos! I love Maris Otter, too, but the lighter profile of the GP seemed right to me. Maris Otter was my go-to for a recent ESB that I'm quite happy with. I'll follow-up with about the GP in the blonde if I go forward with it.

:mug:

Okay, amigos, I brewed up the blonde this week using Golden Promise as my base 2-row. This is meant to be an all-grain version of an extract recipe that I successfully brewed this summer using Briess Golden Light LME as the base extract, and I fortunately kept one bottle from that batch. So I'll look forward to doing a side-by-side and reporting back on the results! :tank:

Update: it turned out great! Added some coriander and lemon zest for additional character. It probably had a little more mouthfeel than is appropriate for style. Oh, well, I was entering this one in anything, and folks LOVED it! Thanks all, and cheers!

Back