Golden Gate Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer_Steve

Reaction score
I just came into possession of 2 golden gate kegs.
I believe they are 12.8 gallons.
Can these be used as keggles? How big of a boil can I do?
They have a hole in the side. Do I get this welded or is there another solution?

You can use them as keggles, but you'll have to have the bunghole welded shut. They'll work fine for 5 gallon AG batches, but I think they're too small for 10 gallon.

Thanks guys. The previous owner used it them to store and serve wine. There is already a tap on them and a bung in the side hole. I might get it welded up and turn it into a kettle. I'm currently doing 5 gallon batches, but I split the boil between 2 pots. This might make a good kettle until I graduate to 10 gallon batches.

Thanks guys. The previous owner used it them to store and serve wine. There is already a tap on them and a bung in the side hole. I might get it welded up and turn it into a kettle. I'm currently doing 5 gallon batches, but I split the boil between 2 pots. This might make a good kettle until I graduate to 10 gallon batches.

Whoa, if those things are in working order, why would you want to cut them up? Those would be great as serving vessels or fermenters. Besides they are becoming antiques. I say just go straight to a sanke keggle, then use the GG kegs as is. It just seems like a shame to cut up a rare item like that, esp when they already work

Back