Going to the loo during lesson time.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sophie92

Reaction score
I am a primary school teacher year 5. What are your opinions on my rule of not letting children go to the toilet during lesson time?

IMO, it's NOT a good idea. Some people have weak bladders and you can't hold back Mother Nature. We had a kid in school who pee'd at his desk (more than once) because the teacher would not let him go. (Nothing personal, but I always thought it was the teacher's fault because it could have been avoided). Very embarrassing to say the least. And the smell lingers, which annoys everyone in the class. He got teased for years about it. Over the years I've wondered what it did for his self esteem?

I would have to agree with the above. Actually I would be very angry if my child had an accident because they were not allowed to use the restroom at any time. Now I know lots of kids probably abuse the right to go to the bathroom during class but I do feel it is a "right" and not a "privilege" to go to the bathroom as needed. That said, I am sure it is quite disruptive and frustrating to have to stop lessons because of it. Maybe ask if anyone needs to use the restroom before you start?

IMO, it's NOT a good idea. Some people have weak bladders and you can't hold back Mother Nature. We had a kid in school who pee'd at his desk (more than once) because the teacher would not let him go. (Nothing personal, but I always thought it was the teacher's fault because it could have been avoided). Very embarrassing to say the least. And the smell lingers, which annoys everyone in the class. He got teased for years about it. Over the years I've wondered what it did for his self esteem?

I have never had a child wet themselves. One of the parents came in as they were annoyed I made her daughter wait for the afternoon last week.

I have never had a child wet themselves. One of the parents came in as they were annoyed I made her daughter wait for the afternoon last week.

OK, don't think I'm attacking you, it's not the case, but what do you do when you get the urge? Do you hold it? What if you can't? I mean, the way I see it is you can't force someone to hold vomit until the end of the lesson. A bathroom break is no different.

Bodily functions aren't aligned to a clock or a schedule.

It's a tough call. I work with children and feel like we're doing more bathroom breaks than anything else. I keep doing it though because I'm pretty sure that having a child wet themselves after they told me that they needed to go would have repercussions.

My wife is a retired teacher (elementary music). Her rule was no bathroom breaks during instruction, as that interrupts the learning of the other students. If one kid needs to go, then another wants to, and another, and another. It sets a bad precedent. However, she would make it clear to the class on the first day that they need to take their bathroom breaks during the time between classes. Once the kids are on board with that and they know the rules, there are no problems. Use the facilities before class and they won't need to during the next 50 minutes.

It's just a matter of setting simple ground rules beforehand.

Primary school year 5, so I think that is 5th graders? I think it is a matter of the children's age. By age 9-10 they should have reasonable bladder control. I too had a classmate that wet himself during school I think it was second or third grade, and yes he was was teased about it as well.
By the way welcome to the forum, what kind of brewing do you do or are interested in?

Back