Going from copying to creating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReverendJ

Reaction score
Hi all,
A quick question that could have a lot of different answers. I've been homebrewing about 4 years now and I've got good technique with my all grain and my brews are getting good reviews and I'm to the point where I'm putting them into competitions. The problem is it's mostly taking already made recipes and giving them small tweeks or taking two recipes and using components to of both to make a new recipe.

How do I take the next step where I make a recipe from scratch and give it the desired properties? For example, right now my hop schedule is usually based on what I like and what I know has worked in the past, but how do I get to the point where I can say, "I want to make a beer that has a stone fruit taste and a piney aftertaste"? Or how do people get to the point where they know 4.5 lbs of 2-row works but 4 lbs is too low? Is it just trial and error, are their books I should look at? I like to experiment, but I hate having to dump/drink bad beer.

Cheers,
Reverend J

SMaSH!

This Stands for Single Malt and Single Hop beer. Start with one base malt and one hop. Next time do a different base malt and hop. This gives you a good understanding of the tastes of the malt and the hop individually.

Then you can add a specialty grain next time and see how it changes the flavor. Next time, add another hop, etc.

SMaSH recipes are easy, and they're hard to create a bad one. Perfect way to get started into building your own recipes from scratch IMO. The more you do, the better you get to know each of the characteristics of the individual grains and hops, and the better able you are to determine what and how much to add to a recipe that you're building.

You should check out "Designing Great Beers" by Ray Daniels. It goes pretty in depth into the characteristics of a lot of different styles. There are also many different books that go very in depth into one specific style that could be helpful.

But most of all, experience. Nothing replaces knowing that a certain combination goes well together from having brewed it before.

Another vote for SMaSH brews. Brew a few different versions and compare/contrast what the different malts and hops bring to the table in each. If you haven't already, start working on your water, as this has a significant impact on the beer's flavor.

Then branch out. Choose a style that you like and build a basic recipe. If you want some feedback beforehand, post your proposed recipe on HBT and people will help you tweak it, or avoid pitfalls if needed.

You should check out "Designing Great Beers" by Ray Daniels. It goes pretty in depth into the characteristics of a lot of different styles. There are also many different books that go very in depth into one specific style that could be helpful.

But most of all, experience. Nothing replaces knowing that a certain combination goes well together from having brewed it before.

Yea, Ray goes into a lot of details on what ingredients do for you, but the majority of the book is pushing the brewer into brewing beers that win medals in particular BJCP styles, not creating your own unique beer.

How do I take the next step where I make a recipe from scratch and give it the desired properties?

I think the answer is just start experimenting. If you're afraid to break an egg you'll never make a cake.

There's no formula for the perfect and unique recipe. If you know what flavors you're looking for, and what body, ABV, color, etc, you can use internet resources and Beersmith to dial it in. Post a prospective recipe to our Recipes/Ingredients section and get feedback, especially if you're experimenting with hops or other ingredients that are new to you.

[dammit Hammy, you beat me my a nose]

As you shift from copying tried-and-true recipes to experimenting on your own, you might find that some of your creations didn't quite "hit the mark." If so, don't think that you're sliding backwards; you're just hitting a few bumps while learning to fly solo. Keep experimenting, never give up and don't be afraid to take some risks.

SMaSH beers are an awesome way to dip your toes into the water.

Remember the principle of ceteris peribus (Latin for "all other things equal"). If you deviate too much from a recipe, you won't know which ingredient or process was responsible for the difference in product.

Another suggestion is to rely on brewing software, such as BeerSmith or Brewer's Friend, to help you target a particular IBU / SRM / OG / FG for any given beer style. Personally, I don't deviate too much from style recommendations, unless I've already brewed one like it and I want to accentuate a particular characteristic.

Don't fall into the common pitfall of trying to do too much with your beer. I see SOOOO many recipes that are 30% adjunct with complicated step mashes and unnecessary additions (brewing salts, yeast nutrient, yadda yadda yadda). Complexity does not guarantee quality; rather, it precludes a consistent product because you won't be able to pinpoint what went wrong.

Finally, don't be afraid to get it wrong. The only way you learn to make better beer is by making a few bad ones first. :)

I equate it a lot to cooking. When you are learning you follow recipes. After a while with a lot of experience you will have a very good idea of what each ingredient will bring to the recipe. Keep it simple at first until you are comfortable with predicting what each ingredient tastes like and what combinations work well. Avoid the pitfall of creating kitchen sink recipes that have a ton of different ingredients. Then each time you brew take very good notes of the process and the tasting notes. Eventually you will get there.

SO to answer your question it simply come with experience and experimentation.

I use Brewer's Friend online software. Look up the BJCP description of something that sounds interesting, plug in the base grains that I have, and tweak the hops and specialty grains until it meets the style. Sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't but at least (hopefully) I learned something. :)

Keep your recipes simple. Taste the different malt grains and imagine what they'll be like in your beer. Look up info on commercial beers that you like and see what hops they use.

Do you have a copied recipe that that you particularly like? Change one significant thing in it and see what happens.

I just bought a 25kg bag of imported pilsen malt. Going to focus on saisons and maybe tripels for a while (because I like them) and see if I can get it right.

to add what everyone else is saying id recommend avoiding the specialty malts trap most new brewers fall into

I stay at 20% or under as a hard rule. Even for like an imperial stout. I know the base malts are "boring", but having a larger number and different types is not going to make your beer better

The other thing you can do is to look at well worn dog-eared recipe threads here on HBt and elsewhere and see what trends in styles are apparent. The AHA website is a great resource too.

I've started doing what your planning just recently enough and it's great to be able to look at award winning recipes in a particular style and see how other brewers have tackled various style issues. Pick and chose things you also want in your process and beer and go from there.

It's rare that brewers will reinvent the wheel. Some styles are just so simple from a recipe stand-point there is little point in muddying it up. Specialty/fruit/spiced beers I guess there are always new horizons to discover. Not an area I know much about.

After you plug your recipe into your software, look at it and decide is each ingredient needed. Edit accordingly. Simplicity in beer recipes is the key very often.

Brew to style or to taste or to both. It's a whole lot of fun making your own recipes.

Thanks all for the suggestions, I think next year will be my SMaSH year, it'll be interesting to see how that pans out.

1 gallon batches are a good way to experiment as well.
The equipment is cheap and I normally wind up with 8 beers or so.
Controlling mash and fermentation temps can be challenging at least the way I do it (biab, stovetop, fermentation cooler bag) but I make it work.
You just look at grain percentages, ibu:gu ratios, ibu's, srm, og, fg etc. while building recipes.
Brew something you like then just scale it up and make a bunch of it.
Using brewing software is very helpful and I agree with trying for specific styles to start while you learn ingredients before you head off into the unknown.

The only way to learn...it to experiment. Use some brewing software and have at it.... :mug:

I'm just starting to try to create my own recipes and this is the approach im going for. Its the approach I use for everything in life. Just dive in and go for it and you are probably smart enough to figure out where you went wrong and adjust for it next time.
I would say pick a style you want to try to create and just go for it. get beersmith put in what you think might turn out to be good based on what you've learned about the style from other beers you have made and get the ingredients and brew it. Take good notes and then when you get a chance to taste it compare the results to what you were hoping to achieve. adjust your recipe to compensate, note what you adjusted and try it again.

Eventually you will have a recipe you created and are happy with, and along the way you will learn a ton about brewing.

I have never liked following recipes much in cooking or brewing. I have always followed some to learn the concept and theory. I mean seriously if I wanted to drink a commercial beer by tbe time I included the cost of equipment and my time a keg would probably be cheaper. I have come to a general rule of threes. I try to stick to around 3 grains or less or 3 hops or less, for most beers. I am mostly an ipa/apa mimd of guy, so take that for what it is worth. I also use very little crystal unless I want an Amber or red and like to blend base malts. The other style I am trying to brew is sours and simple is my rule there also.

Experimentation is the key to a successful batch. Whenever I want to create my own recipe, I always make 2 gallon pilot batches, give sample bottles to my homebrew club and get their feedback. Their feedback + my own modifications is what gives me great 5 gallon batches. The latest recipe Zythos Wheat Bitter was a super hit.

I've made quite a few SMaSH recipes this past year. So far my favorite was an Organic 2-row/Simcoe. Simple refreshing summer brew.

Watch Drew Beechum's talk "Brewing on the ones".....it's basically advocating SMASH +. Great info on creating simple recipes and finding your way. Any one of the posters above would probably agree.

Back