God freakin #$%@@!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smizak

Reaction score
Bottling a lager that I've been babying, cold crashed for 5 days, extremely careful about moving it, wanted just the faintest wisp of yeast in the bottles for carbonation.

At the very end of a beautifully clear transfer, I look down at my bottling bucket for a split second and *thunk*, my hand slips and and the siphon tip shoots across the bottom of the carboy. I now watch in horror as half the yeast cake and trub are now streaming into my bottling bucket, then kills the siphon, shorting me by about 1/2 gallon of my final volume.

So now I've got sludgy-bottomed, over-carbed Dortmunder Export to look forward to. Just had to vent. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Cheers.
:mug:

I do that on purpose at bottling time, I figure after a month in primary I want to insure there really is enough yeast to do the job. And I still get very little sediment/yeastcake in the bottles when it is carbed and conditioned. Still no more than a smere....I let through about 45 seconds to a minute's worth of yeast.

I know it will be fine, I've just been obsessing about getting the smallest amount of sediment in my bottles without doing a secondary. I hate having to give people an instruction manual when giving them beers to try.

I know it will be fine, I've just been obsessing about getting the smallest amount of sediment in my bottles without doing a secondary. I hate having to give people an instruction manual when giving them beers to try.

My response could very well sound like, "Well I know other people who I could have given this beer to," if I wasn't in a "You don't like the beer? Let me dispose of it for you then," kind of mood.

Too bad about the failed experiment, congratz on what will probably be another wonderful batch ;)

Like Revvy said, yeast is fine, it will settle out in the bottles. I would be worried you wouldn't get enough yeast if you cold crashed for 5 days, then planned on bottle conditioning.

A fussy brew buddy of mine had that happen once while we were bottling. he put it all back in the carboy and let it resettle.

A fussy brew buddy of mine had that happen once while we were bottling. he put it all back in the carboy and let it resettle.

Ha, I was *this* close to doing that if only I hadn't put the priming sugar in first.

I've been having great success with cold crashing and bottling, an IPA I recently brewed had barely any visible yeast in the bottles yet carbed up fine.

So now I've got sludgy-bottomed, over-carbed Dortmunder Export to look forward to.

You got some more yeast in it than you planned, but did you plan on adding too much priming sugar too? If not, then it's not going to be overcarbed. Carbonation is controlled by how much priming sugar you use, not how much yeast is in it. As long as there's enough yeast to carbonate it at all, it'll carb to the level you choose by the amount of sugar.

You got some more yeast in it than you planned, but did you plan on adding too much priming sugar too? If not, then it's not going to be overcarbed. Carbonation is controlled by how much priming sugar you use, not how much yeast is in it. As long as there's enough yeast to carbonate it at all, it'll carb to the level you choose by the amount of sugar.

I think he was implying because he lost 1/2g of his final expected volume, when he lost the siphon after slipping. I really need to mark my glass carboys, because I always have to guess my volume until I rack to the bottling bucket.

I think he was implying because he lost 1/2g of his final expected volume, when he lost the siphon after slipping. I really need to mark my glass carboys, because I always have to guess my volume until I rack to the bottling bucket.

Ahh... got it. After the third bottle of Brrr I get a little slower on the uptake.

Back