Goat Milk Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RPFinn22

Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm living in rural Mexico, and just got a new brew set-up so I can supply myself with something other than the standard Mexican Lager you get with Corona, Pacifico, etc....

We've got goats on the ranch and we're getting some good milk from them.. so naturally I'm thinking Goat Milk Stout!

1. Anyone tried this or heard of it?

2. I should pasteurize the milk first right?

3. How much should I use?

4. Flameout or 10-15 min. before?

Any input is appreciated. Happy Brewing.

Normally when the word Milk is used before stout it's referring to it being a sweeter beer by using lactose to sweeten it, not actually containing milk.

Fermented milk doesn't even sound good to me, but I've heard of "milk wine". You could try looking or searching for that. I think actual milk in a beer would be a bad idea- the pH of beer is very low, and even if the milk didn't cause a lacto infection in your beer, I would think the beer would cause the milk to curdle.

Goat's milk makes awesome cheeses, though! I make both soft and hard cheeses from fresh goat's milk each week.

Sometimes there are things that sound disgusting, but turn out okay. This sounds totally disgusting.

Japan had an oversupply of milk at some point a few years ago and they needed a way to just get rid of it without wasting it. So they made "Bilk" which is beer made with milk. Apparently there is a way of doing it without looking head or tasting disgusting.

Milk + Beer = Bilk!

Where in Mexico are you located? Depending on your location, there may be an indigenous fermented beverage. Not beer, by any means, but it may be worth checking out.

I realize that this thread is over six years old and long gone, but I can't help but wounder what yall think about this concept now after home brewing has evolved over the years. I have had some milk stouts from a local brew pub and I can contest that they are as good as any other style if not better than most.
One of my co-works has introduced me to goats milk and again I will say, that milk is every bit as good as cows milk. So my thoughts on making a goat milk stout would not only be interesting, but also as good of a brew one can make.
What do yall think about an "Goat Milk Stout"?

I realize that this thread is over six years old and long gone, but I can't help but wounder what yall think about this concept now after home brewing has evolved over the years. I have had some milk stouts from a local brew pub and I can contest that they are as good as any other style if not better than most.
One of my co-works has introduced me to goats milk and again I will say, that milk is every bit as good as cows milk. So my thoughts on making a goat milk stout would not only be interesting, but also as good of a brew one can make.
What do yall think about an "Goat Milk Stout"?

I think that you need to re-read the second post in this thread.
There is no milk in a milk stout; they use milk sugar (lactose).

I knew that lactose was used in the beer, but I just figured that the lactose was in the milk its self. after some reading I have learned that the lactose is some how extracted from the milk and used in the brew and actual milk is never introduced into the brew. Yall help me out if I have this wrong. But still there should be a way of extracting the lactose from the goats milk as well. This being my only point. I still think a goat milk stout is still possible just not sure how to go about extracting the lactose from the milk.

I seem to believe that even if lactose is just lactose there would be a different flavor or texture just like meads. honey is just honey but the quality varies.

To get an idea of how milk will taste once fermented at room temperature, you could just leave a pint out or two days. That will be an idea on what would happen to milk in beer during fermentation.

I knew that lactose was used in the beer, but I just figured that the lactose was in the milk its self. after some reading I have learned that the lactose is some how extracted from the milk and used in the brew and actual milk is never introduced into the brew. Yall help me out if I have this wrong. But still there should be a way of extracting the lactose from the goats milk as well. This being my only point. I still think a goat milk stout is still possible just not sure how to go about extracting the lactose from the milk.

You want DIY lactose? One method is described at http://infohost.nmt.edu/~jaltig/Lactose.pdf

Enjoy ;)

Hamaki, I started to read your link, but I will have to admit. Its not worth the work going into this experiment just to produce a milk stout from a goat. if nothing else, maybe tonight's post will answer the next guys question about this.:mug:

I seem to believe that even if lactose is just lactose there would be a different flavor or texture just like meads. honey is just honey but the quality varies.

Lactose is milk sugar. It's the same no matter the source...unlike honey, which has different types.
Think of caffeine. There is caffeine in coffee, soda and tea and all taste totally different and have different levels of caffeine. But the caffeine itself is the same.

I see the error in my ways chunkwagon, It was just a though I had after drinking some goat milk the past couple days, I guess I learned a lil about milk stouts and posting about it before enough research to support my ideas.
I guess we beat this horse enough, Goat milk stout? No real reason to spend the time on a home brew level.

Hamaki, I started to read your link, but I will have to admit. Its not worth the work going into this experiment just to produce a milk stout from a goat. if nothing else, maybe tonight's post will answer the next guys question about this.:mug:

We have goats, too. Have made cheese, ice cream, yogurt and soap. Each doe's milk tasted a little different; Darlene's was favored by most. Their diet and how long since kidding affected flavor, as well. Store bought cow milk after becoming accustomed to goat milk is really disappointing. Dr. took me off dairy now. I really miss it. :(

I have been drinking alot of milk for the past year or so, I go through about a gallon of cow milk every 2 days by my self. mostly cause I wake up in the middle of the night with my stomach trying to eat its self. I guess I can blame drinking to much alcohol over the years for this. The goats milk is new to me, I can buy a quart for 2 dollars from a co-worker and it is good!

We have goats, too. Have made cheese, ice cream, yogurt and soap. Each doe's milk tasted a little different; Darlene's was favored by most. Their diet and how long since kidding affected flavor, as well. Store bought cow milk after becoming accustomed to goat milk is really disappointing. Dr. took me off dairy now. I really miss it. :(

We too have goats :D and made cheese, yogurt, butter, and tons of soap! I haven't made any ice cream, but sounds delicious.
I'm not a milk drinker, but have definitely sampled the fresh squeezins and it's great. Way better than from a cow. I just don't find drinking a glass of milk appealing. I like it with anything, cereal, oatmeal, etc.

I have been drinking alot of milk for the past year or so, I go through about a gallon of cow milk every 2 days by my self. mostly cause I wake up in the middle of the night with my stomach trying to eat its self. I guess I can blame drinking to much alcohol over the years for this. The goats milk is new to me, I can buy a quart for 2 dollars from a co-worker and it is good!

My wife and kids drink milk by the gallons. I just can't. It's not that the flavor is bad or causes me discomfort. It just doesn't appeal to me as a beverage, but goat milk is tasty.
I enjoy making things with the milk and if goat milk could be used in a beer and make a delicious product, you can trust I would be right there with you.
:tank:

We also have goats, Nubian dairy goats. Besides feeding & milking 5 does twice a day, also bottle feeding their 13 babies/kids, this keeps us pretty busy. We drink the milk and make cheese, soap, kefir, yogurt, etc. with it, I've never thought about adding it to beer. Realizing of course you're only adding the lactose ingredient to the beer. I've never had nor made a milk stout either, might have to take care of that some time too.

Back