gnat in starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know what the right answer is, but all I am saying is that I would use it. The fermentation would kill anything it might be carrying. I would, however, recommend getting the gnat out before you pitch.

If it were me I would not. I have heard horror stories of fruit flies ruining whole batches of beer.

That's kind of where I am at too. I don't have time to make another starter if I want to brew this weekend. I just don't want to ruin the next 4 months by pitching bad things into a lager that I will be looking forward to in 4 months. I have some back up vials of lager yeast that I can use

I would argue for not using the starter. Read more related articles on here, as the general consensus is that bugs carry bad things that may not show up immediately.

He won't drink much. If the gnats can survive once it is fermented, kegged and carbed they can have the beer! LOL! Found a red wasp in the trub when I kegged my last brew not sure when and how he got there. In boiil I suppose. I called it "Stinger Ale" It was good.

MississippiSlim said:
He won't drink much. If the gnats can survive once it is fermented, kegged and carbed they can have the beer! LOL! Found a red wasp in the trub when I kegged my last brew not sure when and how he got there. In boiil I suppose. I called it "Stinger Ale" It was good.

Ha i like stinger ale

Back