Glycol Chiller operating cost

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goblism

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone knows how many kilowatts a glycol chiller uses a day/month
I can get a 125' system for $250 from a guy, I know its a little overkill for home use but the price is right. His old man bought it new a couple years ago and has since passed away.
I just afraid that it might cost too much to run for a home use. It is this model here
http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/glycol-pid-MMPP4301.html
Mike

I just figure that with this setup I could have my beer/sode in a completely different room and not have to worry about it getting warm on its way to the taps.

Can't remember exactly the formula, but you can use the amp rating to factor kilowatts per hour, multiply that by your residential rate for your electricity and get a cost per kilowatt hour that way, then figure it running 24/7 (8,760 hours in a year) as a worst case. It won't cool 24/7 as it will run on demand.

I'm sure there's an online calculator somewhere.

Found it.

amps x volts x time= watts

11.5 amps x 115 volts x 1hr= 1322.5

divide by 1,000 to get kW and it's 1.3 kW per hour

Multiply that 1.3 kWh times your residential rate and that will be your cost per hour while the unit is running.

Does anyone know how often these things run? If it ran non-stop it would cost me around $2/day!

(amps)X(volts)=(watts)

11.5 amps X 115 volts = 1322.5 watts

Divide by 1000 and you get 1.3225 Kw/hour when running

Back