Glycerine in airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The forager

Reaction score
I added food grade glycerin to my airlock. I can hear the wine fizzing but no action in the airlock. What could the problem be?

I've never heard of glycerin being used in an FV airlock. I imagine it might promote a little more back pressure than watery sanitiser. Are you sure the FV is sealed properly?

I believe some brewery’s use glycerin in the airlock to prevent contamination.

One is now bubbling slowly. Not a thing from the other one. I have checked and it all seems to be sealed properly. I now notice it’s not very “fizzy” so I’m wondering if I racked too early (6 days).

Did you take a gravity reading before racking? I'd normally rack to a carboy when fermentation is finished. Is it possible the lack of activity is because fermentation is finished or at least winding down?

How does one know if fermentation is finished in a bucket (primary vessel)?

I’m so new to wine making. Haven’t got the hang of gravity reading yet. Original was 1.040 and yesterday it looked like the same reading.

Could it be winding down fermenting at only 6 days?

1.040 is a bit low for wine. So, yes, it might well be finished. A cheap hydrometer is one of the most valuable tools to have, as a home brewer or wine maker. It allows us to take reasonably accurate measurements of density in sugar solutions. As yeast consume fermentable sugars the density of the solution goes down and the hydrometer sinks further. It stops sinking when fermentation is finished. To take a sample (about 100ml in a 100ml cylinder) from a bucket without a tap use something like a 'wine thief'.

I have a hydrometer. Just not sure I'm using it properly and at the right times. I took a reading at the beginning (a week ago) and again yesterday.

I also purchased a wine thief and used that yesterday. Just was hoping to see some movement on the hydrometer.

I took a taste sample of the wine. It didn't taste done. Very sweet. It was fizzing in the bucket yesterday but once moved then nothing, so not sure its finished fermenting.

Best thing you can do now is be patient and cross your fingers. It's a simple learning curve, that's all. Next time, wait until fermentation is finished, before racking. I'd expect a wine must to have an OG higher than 1.040, too. Were you supposed to add sugar to a kit?

What reading should a country wine usually begin at? I didn't use a kit. Its a Rhubarb and Apple wine I found on youtube.

I see. I assumed you were making a typical grape-juice based wine, with an OG, say, >1.080. According to the YouTube recipe you've followed, it takes 2-3 weeks to finish, after racking. So, hopefully, just some patience needed.

Hopefully. It sure is a learning curve. Thank you for all your help and advice.

I’m so new to wine making. Haven’t got the hang of gravity reading yet. Original was 1.040 and yesterday it looked like the same reading.

Your hydrometer has to float. They sell tall skinny tubes that you put a sample in and float the hydrometer. Or if you have a thief you can pull a sample with a thief with the hydrometer inside of the thief and read it that way.
E4F39348-77B0-43CC-8AB2-E3AF01A42759.jpeg

The hydrometer must float. When its floating you read it straight across at the level of the liquid where it crosses the numbers on the scale.

Wine normally finishes at 1.000 or slightly less than that. All the sugars in wine are fermentable. Beer normally finishes higher, 1.012 or above. Beer contains some unfermentable sugar that yeast can’t eat

Thanks. That’s exactly what I did with the thief and the hydrometer I have.

So I should take a reading when yeast and sugar are added at primary? Then a second reading moving to secondary fermentation?

You take 2 readings. One at the beginning before any yeast is added and write that down. Thats your original gravity. Then you get another reading at the end when its finished. The difference in these 2 readings tells you the alcohol percentage. Its a bigger thing with beer, but you also have to remember to correct your reading for the sample temp against the hydrometer calibration temp if you’re measuring a warm sample.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/abv-calculator/

I have done a little wine, well a lot of wine volume-wise, but few recipes. I am generally looking at +/- 2lbs total sugar per gallon (including what’s in the fruit), if that’s any help.
As far as the bubbler thing, I use cheap vodka. It will kill any fruit flies, and should there be any of it going into the fermenter, eh. Fruit flies love the smell of fermenting wine. If you can get an old pair of pantyhose, cut a piece big enough to go over the bubbler and secure with a rubber band; the flies can’t even get to the bubbler!
Oh, one other hint I learned early on about wine. Make sure that you use a wine yeast. Some of these homemade wine recipes call for bread yeast, and that just won’t get it. Bread yeast has a very low tolerance for alcohol and dies out long before all the sugar is converted to alcohol. You end up with a very sweet, low alcohol wine.

You take 2 readings. One at the beginning before any yeast is added and write that down. Thats your original gravity. Then you get another reading at the end when its finished. The difference in these 2 readings tells you the alcohol percentage. Its a bigger thing with beer, but you also have to remember to correct your reading for the sample temp against the hydrometer calibration temp if you’re measuring a warm sample.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/abv-calculator/
Thank you. So before adding the yeast. Ok, I'll do it on the next batch and record my reading. More just trying to get the routine and added things like pectolase etc sorted before worrying too much about readings. I've been using a general yeast so far, but going to change to a higher alcohol one for the next batch. Might try Rhubarb...

I have done a little wine, well a lot of wine volume-wise, but few recipes. I am generally looking at +/- 2lbs total sugar per gallon (including what’s in the fruit), if that’s any help.
As far as the bubbler thing, I use cheap vodka. It will kill any fruit flies, and should there be any of it going into the fermenter, eh. Fruit flies love the smell of fermenting wine. If you can get an old pair of pantyhose, cut a piece big enough to go over the bubbler and secure with a rubber band; the flies can’t even get to the bubbler!
Oh, one other hint I learned early on about wine. Make sure that you use a wine yeast. Some of these homemade wine recipes call for bread yeast, and that just won’t get it. Bread yeast has a very low tolerance for alcohol and dies out long before all the sugar is converted to alcohol. You end up with a very sweet, low alcohol wine.
Am using wine yeast only, so thats grand. I'll look at the vodka, and try that along with further protection as you mention from the fruit flies. I also read placing a clove in the airlock will help deter them, so have been doing that too.

First off, glycerin is fine for longer term aging. It keeps air out and does not evaporate. As for checking activity, using the thief, take a sample and tilt the tube about 45 degrees. If you see tiny bubbles crawling up the tube, there is still activity.
There are any number of sites that explain the use of a hydrometer. It is not complicated. Please don't get caught up in the numbers game. Wine does not have to finish at 0.997 or whatever to be done. Your knowledge will come with experience.

I added food grade glycerin to my airlock. I can hear the wine fizzing but no action in the airlock. What could the problem be?
I've had black mould grow in my glycerine/water mix in one of my home made glycol chillers (chest freezer etc). I'd stick to stallersan.
I have a few plastic fermenters who's airlocks don't bubble, the seal on the lids aren't the best and slowly leak.
They are closed enough not to cause issues and as long as I know the yeast are happy... I'm happy

First off, glycerin is fine for longer term aging. It keeps air out and does not evaporate. As for checking activity, using the thief, take a sample and tilt the tube about 45 degrees. If you see tiny bubbles crawling up the tube, there is still activity.
There are any number of sites that explain the use of a hydrometer. It is not complicated. Please don't get caught up in the numbers game. Wine does not have to finish at 0.997 or whatever to be done. Your knowledge will come with experience.
Ahhh, thats a good tip on the bubbles in the thief. I will look at that.

Thanks. I am just trying to get the hang of it all and thats why I haven't been focusing on the numbers. My mother used to make wine when we were kids, and I don't recall her ever worrying about the percentage of alcohol, haha. Thank you for your tips.

I've had black mould grow in my glycerine/water mix in one of my home made glycol chillers (chest freezer etc). I'd stick to stallersan.
I have a few plastic fermenters who's airlocks don't bubble, the seal on the lids aren't the best and slowly leak.
They are closed enough not to cause issues and as long as I know the yeast are happy... I'm happy
Do you mean add Starsan in the airlock?

Back