Procuring Glycerin / Glycerol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nanobrau

Tiny tiny batches
Reaction score
I’m having trouble finding a reliable source of food-grade glycerine that isn’t expensive to ship (NB is $14 in shipping!). The drug stores around me don’t appear to carry it, although I did find a 365 (Whole Foods) brand of vegetable glycerin for $5. This appears to be the right stuff, with no additives. But, I’m waiting to hear back from customer service if this is actually food-grade.

I want to start a small yeast bank, so I’m looking for small format (<10oz). Where do you buy yours?

Thanks for the link. I don’t usually buy food-grade materials from Amazon unless I’m able to vet the brand. Have you used this particular one before?

Oh, no, haven't used either one, sorry. But I've bought all kinds of "food grade" items from Amazon over the years with a moderate amount of research and have yet to be disappointed. And these seems pretty straightforward...

Cheers!

Haven't used it yet and I have no prior experience with glycerin to weigh it against, but Amazon just delivered one of those Organic Verdana 32oz bottles to my door.

These days I won't buy anything on amazon unless it's sold by amazon or a known brand. They sure do make it hard, though.

Things I'm going to eat? No way am I buying that from some sketch mystery outfit.

NB & co (AIH, Austin) seem the best sources I can find at a glance. Free shipping if you spend $99?

edit: That said, yeast bank fluid will get diluted like crazy, so probably low risk if it's not literally poison.

I’m having trouble finding a reliable source of food-grade glycerine that isn’t expensive to ship (NB is $14 in shipping!). The drug stores around me don’t appear to carry it, although I did find a 365 (Whole Foods) brand of vegetable glycerin for $5. This appears to be the right stuff, with no additives. But, I’m waiting to hear back from customer service if this is actually food-grade.

I want to start a small yeast bank, so I’m looking for small format (<10oz). Where do you buy yours?
You may find it in amongst the baking ingredients - here in the UK you can pick up 38ml for the equivalent of US$1.25 :
https://www.oetker.co.uk/products/p/glycerine

Latest posts

Back