Gluten free home brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bstrange

Reaction score
Hi folks,

My family and I are celiacs which means no wheat, barley, or rye. . . thus no beer. I have tried the commercially available GF beers and dislike paying 9 or 10 bucks for a six pack. Or in the case of Greens 6 bucks for a pint!

It’s summer, I work my farm and paint houses and want a beer or two at the end of a hot day. My wonderful wife asked what I wanted for my birthday in July and I asked for the materials to make my own beer.

Can any of you help me know what kit to get? I have a brew kettle and primary fermenter with airlock. I am a newbie and I like hops.

Thanks!
Brent

As @Lefou said, definitely check out our Gluten Free forum for ideas and recipes. The choice and availability of ingredients for GF brewing is slowly increasing and one can brew yummy beers that are totally GF, not just gluten removed. I've tasted some GF homebrew and although they are in a class of their own, they are a very viable alternative to store bought.

AFAIK, there are not many GF "brew ready" kits available, but with a recipe from our GF forum and sourcing your own ingredients you can brew them as they are or adapt as you see fit. For example, you can make them as bitter or hoppy as you like. By brewing your own you don't have to compromise by tailoring to a wide general audience by offering them a pedestrian GF beer!

If there's anything specific you want to know GF related, it's probably best start a new thread in that GF forum to give it maximum on topic exposure. If it's equipment or process, one of the other forums may be more suitable.

@Bstrange I have just begun brewing and my 4th brew was GF (American Amber Ale). It was for my wife. Currently bottle conditioning. I will report back in a few weeks. I purchased my "recipe kit" from the following glutenfreehomebrewing.org/store/. Hope this helps. Like mentioned above. Check out the Gluten Free forum.

Latest posts

Back