Teff for brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makumazahn

Reaction score
I'm looking into gluten free beer options, since I have several family members who have celiac.

I found a malting regimen I intend to experiment with, but thought I'd ask if anyone has tested it. The presentation is here, but it looks like they steeped for 5 hr on the first day, and 4 hr on the second day at 24°C and germinated for 4 days at 24°C in a temperature controlled chamber with 95% relative humidity.

Dried using isothermal conditions at 30, 40, 50, 60, and 70°C for 40 hr. (The abstract doesn't make clear which they used).

Kilned for 18 hr at 30°C + 1 hr at 60°C + 3 hr at 65°C.

This resulted in a malt with acceptable levels of alpha-amylase and beta-amylase.

Perhaps worth pursuing further, and if anyone can see the full presentation (you need a membership to access it) it might be helpful to know how long they dried the green malt before kilning.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are some pretty good GF malt options available unless you are wanting the challenge of making your own malt. If your desire is to add teff to your grain bill and can't find malted teff from a maltster, the enzymes available these days are good enough to act on the unmalted grain. I have never used teff, but I think it is a super small grain, so it can be a pain to crack the grain.

Back