Gluten free beer for my sister

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zaptop

Reaction score
My sistet is gluten intolerant, so I wanted to surprise her with brewing some gluten free beer for her!

So what's the best way to do it? What ingredients shall I use?

Thanks!

Look into white labs "clarity ferm". No experience with it but I think it may be what you're looking for.

The safest way is to use sorghum extract rather than mashable grains or the extract from them. Brewer's Best has an gluten-free extract kit that seems to satisfy my son (a Celiac sufferer). We plan to very carefully experiment with clarity ferm to see if that causes sufficient gluten to drop out to make conventional beers safe for him, but we know that it doesn't handle it all.

Look into white labs "clarity ferm". No experience with it but I think it may be what you're looking for.

Only use this product if your sister has tested it and is comfortable with it. Don't surprise her with a gluten reduced beer. Some still have reactions and some don't.

Check the recipe section for gluten free beers. Depends if you want to do all grain, partial mash, or extract.

A good start is a jar of sorghum, a jar of brown rice syrup, some Candi syrup, steeping grains, and a few charges of hops. Ferment with a dry yeast (important for GF). GF oats are a good steeping grain when slightly toasted.

Hope that helps! Happy brewing!

My wife is gluten intolerant and I have used this on several batches with great success. Just add it to the primary when you pitch your yeast and let it go to work.:mug:

+1 for Clarity Ferm
I have also used it in a Brown Ale. My dad is gluten intolerant and had no ill effects.

I added Clarity Ferm to my last two batches, a 5 gallon American pale ale and a 10 gallon California common. Both are in fermenters now. I hope that my Celiac-afflicted son will be able to enjoy them. I just hate the thought of using him as a guinea pig (even with his knowledge and consent), and possibly making him sick.

My sistet is gluten intolerant, so I wanted to surprise her with brewing some gluten free beer for her!

So what's the best way to do it? What ingredients shall I use?

Thanks!

I was able to become gluten sensitive a few months ago and started brewing gluten free beer. Clarity Ferm does away with gluten for the most part and, I BIAB and I feel that the grain bag soak up most gluten before it makes it to the beer to do harm. I add a pinch to my pizza doe recipe for gluten removal as well.

I started a gluten free beer brewing blog with recipes and how to brew. Feel free to check it out. Let me know if you want to see anything else on it as well. Good luck!
kalisbeer.com

Another +1 for clarity ferm. My wife is gluten intolerant so I use it in every brew. Just picked up a 1L jug of the stuff since I use it so much

Back