Gloppy yeast from WL packet? OK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongoose33

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Planning on brewing today, using WL001 ale yeast.

I prepared a starter last night as per usual. Took the package out of the refrigerator, let it warm up, shook it well to suspend the yeast in solution before i poured it into the flask.

What comes out? About half gloppy stuff. Normally it's just liquid I pour out into the flask, but this stuff was about half gloppy chunks. Toward the end it was the consistency of thick maple syrup.

I've never seen this in either WL or Wyeast packages.

When I put the flask on the stir plate, there were chunks circulating. This morning, those chunks are gone, and the starter looks fairly normal. I used a drop of Fermcap-S when I boiled the starter so there's no krausen or foam on the surface of the starter.

Is this going to be OK or do I have an unviable yeast starter? It's been stored in my refrigerator since I bought it. The "best-by" date is September 1, so it's close, but I used another such package recently (940) that was close to expiry and it was fine.

I have some S-05 I could use if this is not viable but would rather use this if possible.

Update: I pitched it. I'll update the thread with what happens next.

EDITED TO ADD: I pitched about 4:30pm yesterday, had the beginning of a krausen by midnight and bubbling going on. Good-sized Krausen this morning at 13.5 hours in. It's not bubbling as fast as I might expect, but perhaps that'll speed up later today.

Sounds to me like it will be fine. Had this happen a couple of times, even after what I though was vigorous shaking of the unopened yeast packet. I would proceed using your normal steps - if for some reason the fermentation doesn't take off, then I would go to a backup plan. Good luck!

I get that quite a lot, generally I use higher flocculating yeasts so its to be expected. It should be fine with 001/1056 too. If the starter looks fine, I wouldn't worry about it.

The only time I used one of the new WL packs, I did not shake it enough. I posted my displeasure then decided it was operator error, not mixing up the yeast in the pack enough before making the starter.

I squeezed out as much yeast as I could, the starter went off as usual and the fermentation was normal.

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=589053

I recently had this happen with some wlp830 that was 55 days old when I made a starter. It even had some black particles in the package that I thought was odd too, but I forged ahead anyway. Fermentation took off in < 12hrs...

Thanks for the feedback! Seems to be going fine this morning at 13.5 hours after pitch. Pitched yesterday about 4:30 pm, had airlock bubbling and the beginning of a Krausen by midnight. Good-sized Krausen this morning, the wort is roiling as per usual. Not quite as much bubbling as I might expect, but I think this strain is slower than some others.

Back