Glass v plastic carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reggiegentry123

Reaction score
So I'm going to order a new big mouth bubbler from NB and was trying to decide which route to go. Glass seems more durable but the plastic one obviously will be lighter and cheaper, plus I can get it with a built in valve. Any real downside to plastic?

Glass: Bombs, weight, more expensive, easier to clean last longer. Plastic: A bit harder to clean, safer, and easier transport.

I prefer the safer route and go with Plastic. You only need to mess up one time for that to be a bad week.

I have been using the plastic BMBs for a while now and the only issue I have had with them is poor sealing of the lid. Just be careful not to use anything abrasive while cleaning.

I can't speak to the BMB, but after noticing cracks in my last glass carboy I decided to go with plastic for my new one for safety concerns. There's nothing that I can't wash off with PBW and water so there's no need for abrasive cleaners to get it fresh and clean.

I have a 3G glass carboy that I still use but I'll likely soon move that over to plastic as well. Just for peace of mind.

So I'm going to order a new big mouth bubbler from NB and was trying to decide which route to go. Glass seems more durable but the plastic one obviously will be lighter and cheaper, plus I can get it with a built in valve. Any real downside to plastic?

I certainly wouldn't say that glass is more durable. Glass carboys can be really good, especially for long term aging (stouts/sours/etc.), but more and more people are just using Better Bottles and things like that from a safety perspective.

Ive been using glass and I really like the longevity and can be cleaned well. What I dislike is the tiny opening, makes it more difficult to clean and if I wanted to dry hop in a sack, thinking stuffing it in there is a challenge? Try getting it out, like a Chinese finger trap! I just dump hops in now.

Ive been considering moving to plastic.

I have been using the plastic BMBs for a while now and the only issue I have had with them is poor sealing of the lid. Just be careful not to use anything abrasive while cleaning.

Here's the fix. I did this for 6 of them and they seal super-tight now. Took me 1 hour.

Big Mouth Bubbler- Solution to the bad lid seal problem

BTW, I've gone through
  • 3 glass carboys (broke one, gave the others away),
  • 6 Better Bottles (liked them, but they might be out of business, gave them away a few months ago)
  • and now I have 6 of the plastic Big Mouth Bubblers, plastic. LOVE THEM!

_mg_1184-66367.jpg

Glass BMB might not be so durable. They have improved them by 10% or something, but take a look at this thread first before you decide.

Big Mouth Bubblers are dangerously thin

Ok I just placed an order for a plastic one. Not going to risk having one of these things shatter on me

Wondering why if people are going plastic there not just getting a 6.5 bucket.Cheap and are a breeze to clean.And have a handle,which as silly as it sounds is hugely important for moving around and getting out of the ferm chamber.And when your ready to replace you have your old bucket for whatever.

Im actually really wondering.Is there something about these plastic fermenters that are better than buckets?

Wondering why if people are going plastic there not just getting a 6.5 bucket.Cheap and are a breeze to clean.And when your ready to replace you have your old bucket for whatever.
Im actually really wondering.Is there something about these plastic fermenters that are better than buckets?

Im wondering the same thing myself, the only upside to the BMB i can see is there clear so you can see whats going on. I can buy 2 buckets for the price of 1 BMB. Not knocking them just wonder what the draw is. I will add though i cant ever see getting rid of my glass carboys for long term aging.

Wondering why if people are going plastic there not just getting a 6.5 bucket.Cheap and are a breeze to clean.And have a handle,which as silly as it sounds is hugely important for moving around and getting out of the ferm chamber.And when your ready to replace you have your old bucket for whatever.

Im wondering the same thing myself, the only upside to the BMB i can see is there clear so you can see whats going on. I can buy 2 buckets for the price of 1 BMB. Not knocking them just wonder what the draw is. I will add though i cant ever see getting rid of my glass carboys for long term aging.

A LOT of people ferment in a bucket. But it's not sexy, so you don't hear too much from them.

In seriousness, though, there are trade-offs for any fermentation vessel. I use buckets mostly. BUT, they can leak more than most other solutions, and they are not clear enough to see what the yeast is doing if you are so inclined.

Technically they are easier to manage. Cleaning is pretty easy.

I also have a plastic BMB and I like it. It's the smaller size so I use it mostly for smaller batches or for a short secondary like if I'm dry-hopping outside the keg, or adding other things that I don't want in the keg (I usually dry hop in the keg the entire time it's being served...)

With a plastic BMB I can easily see what's going on without having to pop the lid. They are as easy to clean as a bucket, IMO and I think you can more easily see when it's clean than a bucket. With some minor improvements they can be sealed up airtight, unlike most of the buckets I own. This isn't a deal breaker for me, because any long term again I do in a glass carboy.

I haven't heard of any problems since they improved on the first generation of glass BMB's, but I haven't really looked too hard either. For me, the plastic version is suitable for my beermaking, unless I'm going to bulk age for months, then I'll use a glass carboy.

IMO the plastic BMBs are worth the price premium over the plastic carboys for my needs. I'm not sure I'd trust the glass version yet, but it's moot point to me since I own 2 glass carboys and they cover my needs, so I don't have any reason to buy a glass version anyway.

For most primary fermentation I'm not really that picky about the vessel. I've even used an 8 gallon SS kettle with plastic wrap on top for a couple of batches and it worked fine. I'm more picky if I plan to bulk age. In that case I will choose glass where there is less O2 permeation. Others are perfectly happy bulk aging in plastic carboys and I doubt there is really any concern (but I own glass carboys, so no need for me to worry about it either way.)

I have a bucket that I've used as well, but I do like being able to watch what's going on personally.

For $30 more than the glass 6.5 gallon BMB - get the 6.5 gallon stainless steel fermenter from Chapman Brewing Equipment. Just picked one up. Highly recommend. $99 w/ free shipping.

For $30 more than the glass 6.5 gallon BMB - get the 6.5 gallon stainless steel fermenter from Chapman Brewing Equipment. Just picked one up. Highly recommend. $99 w/ free shipping.

Good lord those are sweet!

https://www.chapmanequipment.com/product/7-Gallon-SteelTank-Portless

Sort of a mid-point between a conical and a bucket, eh? You don't get the trub eliminating benefits of the conical, and you have to siphon it out like a carboy, but otherwise, that's pretty killer.

OTOH, I'm pretty happy with my glass carboys, and a 6-gal glass carboy is only $40 at Amazon. (I have one, and it seems to work just as well as my 6.5 gal from MoreBeer)

I still (after almost 17 years) love my glass carboys. if you can swing it, don't discount stainless steel fermentation vessels. I have a kind of spendy one ( heated/cooled 13 gallon conical from MoreBeer), but I love the damn thing. most importantly, ferment in what you feel safe around. stainless won't crack and is decent to clean, but comes with a price tag. plastic can suck to clean, but is safe. glass is easy to clean, but potentially dangerous in the hands of one who imbibes.

Back