Glass Carboy Airlock Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GySgtLynn

Reaction score
I just bought a 6.5 gallon glass carboy today. My problem is my rubber stop keeps popping out the top. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would hate to ruin this oatmeal stout that is boiling right now.

Yep, that is a problem you will have forever. I ONLY use these (for better bottles, actually, but Brewmaster's Warehouse has them for glass too):

0101893.jpg

Regarding your current brew, it will stick in there better when it is completely dry.

Assuming you have the right size stopper ... first try twisting it around a bit til it finds a hold. If necessary, if you dry both the carboy mouth and the stopper it should stick better. Assuming the beer is already racked to the primary, the act of drying (assuming clean cloth) shouldn't contribute to infection ... just don't overdo it.

-BigCask

The picture posted above is a "universal carboy bung - drilled" and it's definitely the way to go. The lip prevents any possibility of it slipping INTO the carboy, and it forms a great seal and is easy to remove when the time comes. Also, they've never popped back out when I've used 'em either.

They sell for a buck or less and are great to have around. I also bought a solid/undrilled one and, when cleaning/sanitizing carboys before use, I put the solid one in there so that I can really slosh the cleaner/sanitizer around vigorously in it without a chance of a leak or my hands getting wet (wet carboy/hands + vigorous shaking just may = BIG problems). CAREFUL when handling glass carboys.

Did you use starsan to sanitize the carboy/stopper? If so, they do slip out until they dry. Switching to iodophor fixes that problem.

-a.

Assuming you have the right size stopper ... first try twisting it around a bit til it finds a hold. If necessary, if you dry both the carboy mouth and the stopper it should stick better. Assuming the beer is already racked to the primary, the act of drying (assuming clean cloth) shouldn't contribute to infection ... just don't overdo it.

-BigCask
I agree. I've been drying mine off for years. A new paper towel should help there...;)

Yep, that is a problem you will have forever. I ONLY use these (for better bottles, actually, but Brewmaster's Warehouse has them for glass too):

0101893.jpg

Regarding your current brew, it will stick in there better when it is completely dry.

do you push those all the way down? i have one but haven't used my carboy yet.

Yes, totally change your sanitizing procedures to accommodate a slippery airlock. Or you could just blot the outside of the stopper/inside of carboy neck with a paper towel.:rolleyes:

I have noticed if I leave those stoppers soaking in cleaner or sani for too long that they swell and have a tendency to not fit as snug as they should.

A good reason to have extra stoppers lying around. They are pretty cheap.

I use a #7 drilled stopper in my 6.5 carboys and they fit well. I boil to sanitize and put them in wet w/o a problem.

OT...i truly doubt sanitizers will sanitize a rubber stopper....too many surface imperfections. boil ftw.

Like the others said, the stopper and mouth of the carboy need to be dry to make a good seal. Also, I find it helps to put the stopper in the carboy first, and then put the airlock into the hole in the stopper. It makes the stopper expand a little more into the mouth of the carboy.

Also, you could take a stopper after hitting it with some Starsan and give it a quick rinse with rubbing alcohol (70% isopropanol) and this will dry quickly and keep the stopper in place

Back