Ginger vinegar?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markowe

Reaction score
I am making some ginger wine using half mulched grapes/juice and the rest sugar, and the usual ginger wine ingredients (lemon juice/rind, bananas etc.)

I was thinking, ginger wine might make a nice little flavoured vinegar to spice up salads - strange though, haven't found anyone mentioning making "ginger vinegar", wondered if anyone has done it (accidentally or otherwise!)

I have some vinegar starter which I have used to good effect in other projects (cider vinegar, malt vinegar etc.) but was wondering when a good time is to take, say a couple of bottles out of the primary and innoculate them - I have mostly just got it by luck before, but have also failed a couple of times because presumably the ABV was too high for the acetobacteria, so what sort of ABV should I be aiming at? I have seen people mention as high as 18%, but that doesn't sound right, or at least, I have failed at those ABVs...

18 seems high. But I think it lowers if you let it sit out for a few days without it being sealed.

When I do it, I usually put it in a growler, and rubber band some cheesecloth on the top. It seems to help. No clue why though.

I'd only do a bottle, unless you know it will be good. It sounds good though! Both the wine and vinegar. I love seasoned vinegars.

18 seems high. But I think it lowers if you let it sit out for a few days without it being sealed.

When I do it, I usually put it in a growler, and rubber band some cheesecloth on the top. It seems to help. No clue why though.

I'd only do a bottle, unless you know it will be good. It sounds good though! Both the wine and vinegar. I love seasoned vinegars.

Thanks for the reply - I never got back as I was waiting to see what happened. I tried everything - sloshing the wine around, leaving it open, covering it with cloth, I even poured a little bit of live vinegar in that I had from before. I just can't get it to go sour! Funny how when you WANT your brew to go off it won't..!

I am wondering if perhaps ginger has some sort of antibiotic effect on the acetobacter :) Though I doubt it, else surely the yeast wouldn't be bubbling away as happily as it is.

So I guess if it doesn't work out I will just have to do it the boring way and infuse some white vinegar with ginger, but that wasn't really the purpose of the exercise..!

Interesting. Thanks for following up, this sounds good.

Just shooting in the dark; Maybe take a bit and water it down to see if that works. But I would probably use a sanitary water, like bottled spring water, not distilled water.

I just want to update on this - I FINALLY got vinegar, thanks to some fruit flies that I think got in the must.

And to be honest, the results are a little... meh... There isn't really a hugely pronounced taste or smell of ginger. I think just infusing vinegar with ginger would be much more effective.

Hmm, I take that back, I have just had another taste and you CAN taste the ginger, but it's getting a little overpowered by the acidity. I am sure it's going to make for an interesting alternative for salads and things, and definitely any time I brew anything I will probably save a pint or two to make vinegar from, why not. All adds to the spice of life :)

Gratz on the ginger vinegar finally. Sounds like your Ginger wine is fruity compaired to mine so I don't know if that would make a difference. Mine is a mead with a hand full of raisins but over 2.5lb of crushed ginger root. I will mention that ginger does inhibit yeast action it seems. It took me forever to let this thing finish fermenting. It was going sooooo slow. Close to over 6 months of fermenting. So it may be the ginger reacting with the bacteria.

Back