Newbie question about using fresh herbs/spices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 303860

Reaction score
I have experimented with making apple wine from bottled apple juice, sugar, bread yeast only ingredients. It turned out pretty decent. Well I've been making turmeric tinctures with fresh roots and vodka for the anti-inflammatory properties Thanks to the Ukraine / Russia war, my state has banned my preferred brand of vodka. So, I was wondering if I was able to make turmeric wine and if it would retain the medical benefits? Another question would be, could I use a ginger wine recipe, but substitute turmeric for the ginger? Thanks

Turmeric flavor is kind of... like dirt. I don't mean that in a nasty way; just that it is not at all the kind of flavor that goes with wine. It is great in Indian dishes but I think of wine flavors as sort of clean, bright, and clear, if that makes sense.

I suggest getting the turmeric in food rather than wine.

Or try something like a nocino (although I make mine with vodka so back to the same problem).

Or maybe add it to limoncello? The intense lemon flavor may play well with the turmeric? I use Everclear for my recipe so that gets around your vodka challenge.

MissPiggy - Hi - and welcome. You say that your state has banned your preferred brand of vodka. OK, but there must be a thousand brands of vodka made in dozens of states other than Russia, and indeed, here in NY there are small distilleries that make vodka. But basically, what is vodka? A relatively inexpensive spirit that typically does not advertise its own flavors in the way that whisky, gin, brandy, Tequila does. It's the tofu of spirits. Go looking for a vodka that has the proof you want. I say all this as someone who often makes liqueurs from very inexpensive spirits.
All that aside, I would imagine that whatever the medical benefits of turmeric, they are accessible whether the oils are made available through the powerful solvent of a spirit, a less powerful solvent that is wine or by cooking. I have to agree with MilesBFree, I cannot imagine that drinking turmeric wine would be anything desirable.. but I do know that for the indigenous Ethiopian mead known as t'ej, many folk add a little turmeric to shift the color more towards bright yellow. I make t'ej but have never tried to add turmeric.
Could you substitute turmeric for ginger, to make a wine based on a ginger recipe. Experimentation is at the heart and soul of the scientific method. I would make a very small batch but if it meets your expectations and your demands then there is nothing to stop you making a bigger batch.

Back