Ginger beer lack of body

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnybravo

Reaction score
Wonder if someone could offer some advice. I've made an alcoholic ginger beer which tastes great once sweetened but has a severe lack of body to it.
I used:
2 gallons of water
180g of brown sugar
600g of ginger
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
Yeast

I brought super and ginger to the boil turned of heat and then steeped for an hour before allowing to cool.

Should I have used DME instead of super?
Should I have added cream of tartar?
Would I have used maltodextrine?

Thanks in advance!
John

How long do you leave it to condition? Certainly with cider it takes time for the depth of flavour to develop.

Thanks for your answers, it's only been conditioning for a week or so but as I suspected just like yooper said, it is just flavoured sugar water. I'll order some maltodextrin and try adding it. The only stuff I can find online(in the uk) is coopers body bru unless anyone else knows of a supplier....

My very first kick at the brewing hobby was a malt extract based ginger beer. Substituting light DME for the sugar will give you a nice light coloured beer as your base, as well as some body (compared with the sugar). Adding a touch of maltodextrin will increase the body some more as Yooper mentions, if you think you need it. A small amount of brown sugar in proportion to the DME will add a little character, but the more you add the less body you'll have in the finished beer. I've never actually used lemon juice in a beer myself, but the zest alone should give you some nice lemony character. Also, not sure if you're using an ale yeast or something else, but a nice ale yeast should leave you with just the right amount of residual sugars in your finished beer. Hmmm, I'm thinking I need to brew me up a ginger beer now. :)

Did you use any source of yeast nutrient ?

what ABV did it end up at ?

consider making it out of apple juice if you have it local, instead of water : )

Didn't use a any yeast nutrient and got about 5%. Maltodextrin and some sweetener has done the trick! thanks for your help.

Back