Ginger beer help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Konstantinos

Reaction score
Hi!!
i could really use some help with my ginger beer recipe.
I just brewed the recipe, but a quick taste test from the carboy was disappointing. No ginger taste at all!!
Is it normal? will it come at a later point during fermentation? Is there a way to save it?
many thanks! :bigmug:

https://community.grainfather.com/recipes/385215

Attachments

• Copy of - Ginger Beer.pdf
    892.9 KB · Views: 49
The flavour is probably gone with CO2. While fermenting, the room must be smelling nicely of ginger. You could still make a tea from ginger and add it while bottling.

I've never made a Ginger Beer, per se, but have made a few beers with Ginger. If the Ginger taste is not noticeable, the answer is more ginger or fresher ginger. I have added spices (including ginger) directly to the keg to increase flavor/aroma. If your brew is still in the fermenter, you could add some more there.

Last edited:
I've made this recipe twice. It's a historic recreation of ginger beer so it probably doesn't appeal to modern pallates but my wife and I liked it very much. The flavor is quite intense and I wouldn't want a whole keg of it.

The question is should the ginger taste be already noticable? Did anyone taste it before kegging/bottling? Should I wait and taste it after the fermentation is over or should I already add some more (fresh grated) ginger in the fermenter?
Thanks for the help!

Hey Konstantinos,

I'm a very much of a beginner, but this is really on my to brew list, something close to a bunderbeg gingerbeer would be ideal!

I would think adding more ginger to the fermentation mix might be the way to go if it's not been too long..
But hopefully someone experienced can confirm /deny this

Personally I think I'd prefer to try that and chuck it away if it didn't work than chucking it away because it didn't taste nice and not seeing what happens when adding it to the mix!

I would be really interested in knowing what you end up doing and how it turns out!

Michael.

Konstantinos, the first (only) time I brewed ginger beer, after a few days, I tasted it (about a pound of grated ginger in a 3.8 gallon bucket) and it was hardly noticeable. I removed the ginger, boiled it and poured everything back into the bucket. The difference in taste went from 1 to 10! Next time, I'll use two pounds of ginger and boil first. I hope this helps

Back