Ginger Beer Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Spiegel

Reaction score
Did a ginger beer recently - finished a little dryer than I wanted (1.012). Not a big deal. Bottled it (3 oz. Priming sugar mix to 3 gal batch), and I was worried that it was going to over carbonate and become a bottle bomb, so I burped the bottles a few times (they were reusable bottles), and actually cooled the bottles down a few days early so it wouldn't carbonate too much. When I did open them, they fizzed over, made quite a mess. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with me burping the bottles? Does anybody know?

What was the temp of the beer when you bottled and what temp did you keep em at?

At 70* adding 3oz of priming sugar would get you about 2.7 volumes. That's not overcarbed.

Last edited:
Ginger beer usually only contains simple sugars which will ferment completely, unless stabilised or pasteurised. Also chilling it only slows down this process. Meaning, you were not at final gravity when bottling as final gravity will be 1 or lower.

Ginger beer usually only contains simple sugars which will ferment completely, unless stabilised or pasteurised. Also chilling it only slows down this process. Meaning, you were not at final gravity when bottling as final gravity will be 1 or lower.

Ok. I knew chilling it would slow it down (as I was worried about over carbing), but didn't think about the simple sugars fermenting out completely - I checked gravity two days in a row and it seemed stable. Must have been off. Thanks for the help.
In the future, I'm hoping to get a keg so that I can stabilize then force carb.

Back