Ginger Apple Cider - How much ginger to use in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njohnsoncs

Reaction score
I'm making 6 gallons of apple cider and would like to try adding some ginger to 1 gallon. I'm planning on racking 1 gallon of it to a jug and then adding some ginger root.

A few questions:

1. How much ginger root should I add?

2. Should I peel, slice, and then boil it in some water first and then add the water/ginger tea and some ginger slices? Or should I just add the slices directly?

3. How long should I leave the ginger in the secondary before bottling?

Thanks!

I'm making 6 gallons of apple cider and would like to try adding some ginger to 1 gallon. I'm planning on racking 1 gallon of it to a jug and then adding some ginger root.

A few questions:

1. How much ginger root should I add?

2. Should I peel, slice, and then boil it in some water first and then add the water/ginger tea and some ginger slices? Or should I just add the slices directly?

3. How long should I leave the ginger in the secondary before bottling?

Thanks!
I use the sliced ginger left over from my carryout sushi...not sure exactly how much it is as I've never weighed it. I toss in 1gal container....typically along with cinamon stick & 100% tart cherry juice concentrate. I let sit for 1-2weeks b4 consuming. Makes for an awesome cider!

Cheers & good luck [emoji111]

I have a ginger tincture soaking in a jar right now. A big chunk of root chopped up and soaking in vodka for a couple weeks. Seems to me it'll be easier to control the taste by adding a little at a time to my cider or mead until it tastes just right.

I'm only doing 1 gallon so I don't want to taste that much otherwise I won't have any left over to bottle! So I'm looking for some general guidance, e.g., use X oz of ginger root and let sit in the secondary for Y days, just to give me something to start with.

I made a ginger cider last summer. Turned out great. Someone on this site suggested using ginger juice (google “the ginger people”). I found it at my regular grocery store. Easy to add right into the bottling bucket to taste. I ended up adding about 3 oz. Add a little at a time, it’s hard to get it back out if you add too much.

I made 5 gallons of ginger cider a little over a year ago. I put an entire hand (full root) of ginger in it. I peeled, then shredded it.

It turned out absolutely perfect.

So, for 1 gallon, I'd say 1/5th of a hand.

Hm I have 0.28 oz of ginger root. I guess I'll use that in 1 gallon of apple cider. Do I have to worry about any sugar from the ginger? I don't want bottle bombs.

Peeling the ginger is optional. I cube/dice the ginger then freeze until ready, when it returns to room temperature it is almost gelatinous. Then I place in a saucepan and cover with water and simmer to about 150 covered for a couple of hours making a ginger consume. Then I'll add ginger and juice to whichever fermenter.

Next time im thinking of adding pectic enzyme to the ginger and let it sit for a couple of hours before freezing. I'm not sure if there's any actual pectin in ginger but I'm curious if it will increase the juice extraction.

I added the ginger at the same time as the yeast and let it ferment out (about a week) before going to keg.

It just struck me as odd that you used "hand" as a unit of measure, like some old sailor's lore. But after looking at a ginger root, I get it. Kinda looks like a hand. So maybe 1/5th of a hand is a finger? lol

It just struck me as odd that you used "hand" as a unit of measure, like some old sailor's lore. But after looking at a ginger root, I get it. Kinda looks like a hand. So maybe 1/5th of a hand is a finger? lol

Oh, gotcha! Yeah, I've always heard it referred to as a "hand," but that's coming from my parents and grandparents who all used either archaic or "old farmer" language!

I made a ginger cider last summer. Turned out great. Someone on this site suggested using ginger juice (google “the ginger people”). I found it at my regular grocery store. Easy to add right into the bottling bucket to taste. I ended up adding about 3 oz. Add a little at a time, it’s hard to get it back out if you add too much.

I'm thinking about trying this out. Was the 3 oz for a 1 or 5 gallon batch?

Start small and you can always add more later. I would add maybe 1/2 oz per gallon to start.

I peel and slice the ginger, then place in a ziplock and beat with a hammer. You avoid all the fine floating particles this way. I have a ceramic ginger grater that I love for cooking but is too messy for brewing purposes.

Latest posts

Back