Giga yeast.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jag75

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I guess my heads been in the sand. I had no idea they shut down. I was trying to order a big pitch of GY054.

Now I have to use a different yeast . Sad

Try Imperial A04 Barbarian. Should be a very close if not identical version of Conan. I've used both and can't tell the difference.

I might just find one from Whitelabs. I'm needing a pure pitch for the brewery.

I'll have to email Imperial and see what there options are as well.

We don't reuse yeast , small brewery 3bbl system.

Thank you for the tip . I've used Imperial before with good results . I will definitely try the A04 my next NEIPA homebrew.

I might just find one from Whitelabs. I'm needing a pure pitch for the brewery.

I've not done the comparison, but WLP095 seems to be one of the less favoured Conan variants among those who have, compared to eg Yeast Bay WLP4000.

I think WLP095 is a great neipa strain. I've used it and would again. It's a diacetyl producer, so do a thorough diacetyl rest. I'm not sure it's actually Conan because Conan doesn't produce diacetyl like that. But it's easy to brew with and the resulting neipa was fantastic in our case.

Well gonna give the A04 a try . Got some A07 as well

Attachments

• 20211203_153121.jpg
    20211203_153121.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 25
Nice jugs!

Good luck, and let us know it goes pitching the A04.

Hey, BTW, Jag, what's your experience with fermentation temperature with Conan? I have found that anything much over 62 F and it starts producing clovey phenolics that I don't want in my IPA. If I keep it pegged at 62, it produces a very nice result, fairly clean but flavorful and hazy. Would you agree with that or is your experience different? I would love to hear from someone who is pitching this strain commercially.

Nice jugs!

Good luck, and let us know it goes pitching the A04.

Hey, BTW, Jag, what's your experience with fermentation temperature with Conan? I have found that anything much over 62 F and it starts producing clovey phenolics that I don't want in my IPA. If I keep it pegged at 62, it produces a very nice result, fairly clean but flavorful and hazy. Would you agree with that or is your experience different? I would love to hear from someone who is pitching this strain commercially.

I set my temp at 66f . I've never got any clove. I've had great results with GY054. So this will be my first time trying A04. I've used different Imperial yeast strains before with good results so I'm sure it will turn out good . Used the A07 in a stout . Both of these beers kicked off quickly.

I'm not sure if we will stick to this yeast. It's pretty pricey . We are a small 3bbl brewery and I'm not sure liquid yeast is worth it .We are talking about yeast harvesting but leaning towards not because of brewing schedule. I think right now our best bet would be to plan a brew right after fermentation is complete and use the cone .

Back