Getting the yeast out of there!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p_p

Reaction score
So far I have been dry hopping by adding the hops right before fermentation finishes with a bit over 1oz per gal of high alpha hops, but I am not getting the dry hop aroma (fresh bag of hops aroma) I usually get on good commercial beers.

Recently I heard saying that not overpitching and getting the yeast out of there will improve aroma. I want to give it a go, but need to come up with a technique suitable to my process and equipment.

I brew in a flat-bottom bucket, and bottle directly from it using a wand. Not willing to transfer to secondary unless unanimously told to do so in order to get that aroma currently eludes me.

So, it occurred to me that if I cold crash the beer once FG is reached, dry hop and let it rise back to fermentation temps that would be probably get some of the yeast out of suspension, wouldn't it? Or is it all about removing that yeast cake at the bottom?

Sounds like a silly idea, but would like your opinion on the subject.

thanks
pp

FermProfile.jpg

Not saying I'm an expert but this formula seems to work for me. I find the hop flavour/aroma is comparable or better to commercial bottled pale ales, although I'm yet to match some of the great IPAs we have on tap locally.

My general process is this..

1/3 hops in the boil (split between FWH and 15/10/5)
1/3 hops at flameout, chill to 170f then hopstand/whirlpool for 20-30 mins before cooling further
1/3 dryhops, at end of primary phase (or after racking to secondary if I need the primary for the next batch).

Leave 4ish days after adding hops, then cold crash, then bottle after 3 days.

In a really nice pale ale I'll use 9oz of hops total, IPA maybe 12, 16ish for a DIPA.

I find the whirlpooling adds bitterness and complexity which I prefer to straight flameout hops. I like the late kettle additions for the flavour, some people say to chuck everything in at flameout but I like the flavour that these additions bring to the table.

Back