getting the final gravity down

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bannerj

Reaction score
I posted here
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/going-over-estimated-og-395090/

that somehow I had overshot my OG. Everyone seemed to think I had somehow misread the hydrometer (even though I did check it twice).

Anyway, it's been over a month in the primary. Just checked it today (twice) and it's reading at about 1.030.

This is the first time I've ventured out with my own recipe this experimentally. I'm open to feedback on the recipe: http://hopville.com/recipe/1687484

I'm also assuming I need to get some more fermentation to get it closer to 1.020.

It's been in a temp controlled closet at 64 degrees. It is just a matter of bringing up the temp? My basement is below 60 in the winter. Now that its warming up, it won't cost too much more to raise the closet temp.

If you only pitched 1 pack of yeast and the gravity really is that high you severely under pitched.

In addition, regardless of the mash the majority of the bill is extract and probably has a lot less fermentable then you think.

You can raise the temp and give the vessel a swirl to rouse the yeast and see if it will finish. You can also pitch new yeast to see if it will work

The reality is it may not move lower. Did you taste it? Is it overly sweet?

I'm surprised no one asked you what seems like an obvious question:
Did you end up with the full five gallons? I'm on my phone and it's hard to tell if it was a full boil or partial with top up. But easy to boil off more than expected or not add enough which would throw it off big time.
I'd take it out of the basement and raise the temp for a week. But fermentation is probably complete with that OG compared to the recipe and it's projected FG.

bumpity bump....anyone? Is it just a matter of bringing it up to 68 or 70 degrees? Can I agitate it to liven up the yeast?

bumpity bump....anyone? Is it just a matter of bringing it up to 68 or 70 degrees? Can I agitate it to liven up the yeast?

I start my fermentation cool and as it slow down I warm it to room temp (72F) and usually go below the predicted FG.

Back