Getting rid of cable, what are my options?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheZymurgist

Reaction score
So we're ditching subscription TV and going back to rabbit ears, but what do you guys like for supplemental TV streaming? We're going to get Netflix, and Hulu+ kind of sucks, but what else is out there? Anyone have experience with streaming devices like Apple TV or Roku, etc?

Just wanted to hear what others like/don't like.

We have an Apple TV which if you have a lot of Apple products is nice since you can stream content from computer, iphones, ipad etc. It's not very upgradable so you are kind of limited in the streaming apps. It will have Netflix and Hulu. If you have a friend with HBO you could get them to give you the HBO Go account so you can watch HBO on Apple TV too.

The Ruku I believe has a bit more flexibility. They should have apps like Crackle which is another movie/TV streaming service.

I haven't had cable in over 3 years and love not paying the big price however I'm also not an avid TV watcher. Others may have found more options.

I have a Roku, and it's a pretty cool little box. I mostly use it for Netflix & Pandora, but there's a lot of other stuff on there. Well worth the $70 or so we spent on it IMO.

Another is Amazon. I sprung for Prime for a good amount of "free" streaming that comes with Prime and, of course, the free 2-day shipping for anything I order through them. It's pretty nice to be able to a season of a show that I like (Walking Dead) and be able to watch it the same day it's being shown for the first time.

I think I'm leaning towards the Roku+Netflix+Amazon combo. We have Hulu+ but I've been pretty disappointed with it.

I use Roku 3, Netflix, Prime, Hulu+

Netflix is what I use the most, Hulu+ isn't perfect but it's the only way to watch current seasons of many of the shows I like and the only way to watch Community I believe. I also use it to watch the Daily Show and Colbert Report as well as other Comedy Central offerings they may have. I use Prime the least since it seems like most things I can watch on Prime I get on Netflix. A few exceptions of course, first half of the current (last?) season of Doctor Who, and Sound City being 2 of the things I've used.

THere's also a channel I use on the Roku to watch Conan which is awesome for me

Back