Getting ready for a brew session

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warix

Reaction score
I have been out of brewing for a while. My son came to me one day and said "hey Dad, remember when you used to make beer?" "Yea" I said. "Why did you stop" he asked, "well son life got busy trying to raise you and keeping a roof over your head and working two jobs since your mom can't work. Not much time left for a hobby." Then he said, " now that I am married and we do not see much of each other I was thinking maybe you could show me how to brew and we could do it together, for some just you and me time."

Well needles to say I was blown away and thought that this would be a blast. So I dug out all of my gear and cleaned it all up and now we are getting ready to plan a brew day. One of his favorite beers is Alaskan Amber. So I want to brew a nice Amber ale. Not really a clone of AA, but a little better than that. Something using extract and grains, with some good hops but not to bitter. Do any of you guys have a great recipe you would like to share?

My favorite amber ale is Northern Brewers' American Amber Ale. Start back in with a fairly basic kit and go from there.

My favorite amber ale is Northern Brewers' American Amber Ale. Start back in with a fairly basic kit and go from there.

I agree, since you have been out of the hobby awhile, why not do a simple extract with steeping grains kit? It's much harder to brew while teaching someone else if you are rusty at the process yourself!

Good luck and have fun! No matter how busy our schedules get, we all need at least one hobby to take our minds off other things for awhile. Anyone who watches TV has no excuse to say they have no time for hobbies (not saying you do, but 90% of Americans watch at least some TV.

[Good luck and have fun! No matter how busy our schedules get, we all need at least one hobby to take our minds off other things for awhile. Anyone who watches TV has no excuse to say they have no time for hobbies (not saying you do, but 90% of Americans watch at least some TV.[/QUOTE]

I hear ya, but I literally worked a full time job and another 30 hour job every plus overtime on the main job for almost 15 years. The last vacation I had that was longer than 3 days was back in 2000. I just lost my part time and I have decided that enough is enough and I am going to take a break for a while. I am so excited to be brewing again!

That's awesome! My daughter is in college and whenever she comes home for breaks we always brew together. She took a class in college on brewing science and ever since wants to delve into my craft. She leaves Sunday so tomorrow we are going to brew a nut brown ale.

Well, my daughter is only 1 year old, so I have a while before I can start teaching her how to mash in without getting dough balls.

Count me as another vote for that amber ale kit from Northern Brewer.

Well, my daughter is only 1 year old, so I have a while before I can start teaching her how to mash in without getting dough balls.

Count me as another vote for that amber ale kit from Northern Brewer.

I placed that order yesterday! I am looking forward to it.

Back