Getting Drunk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IloveWorts

Reaction score
I feel like this topic never gets enough attention on this site.

Seeing how this is a serious reason beer is so popular, I want to see what everyone's opinion is on ABV afecting qualities of the finished product as well as quality of alcohol of homebrewed beer vs commercial beer. Is there a difference due to process or quality (homebrew is better)? Will an ABV of 5% in a stout affect someone differently then an ABV of 5% in an Ale? Anyone have some articles or studies?

I feel like this topic never gets enough attention on this site.

Seeing how this is a serious reason beer is so popular, I want to see what everyone's opinion is on ABV afecting qualities of the finished product as well as quality of alcohol of homebrewed beer vs commercial beer. Is there a difference due to process or quality (homebrew is better)? Will an ABV of 5% in a stout affect someone differently then an ABV of 5% in an Ale? Anyone have some articles or studies?

alcohol is alcohol. It all works the same. As far as homebrew vs commercial? Thats opinion. Commercial though will be MUCH more consistent.

source on alcohol being the same? BS in microbiology and minor in chemistry and 7+ years of professional science work doing many different things.

Short answer is higher carbonated beverages get you drunk faster because they are absorbed faster.

So technically a style that has higher carbonation will get you drunk faster even if the ABV is the same.

alcohol is alcohol. It all works the same. As far as homebrew vs commercial? Thats opinion. Commercial though will be MUCH more consistent.

source on alcohol being the same? BS in microbiology and minor in chemistry and 7+ years of professional science work doing many different things.

Exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you sir.:tank:

As I get older and prefer to drink less then I did in my younger days. I'm now fine with having 2 or 3 beers and that's enough. But those times that I do have a couple/few more the effects the next morning from home brew are much less then if I had drank a commercial brew. I thank the yeast for that. :)

I have to agree on that. I feel like really letting the yeast have their way and ferment out everything including their byproducts that it makes me less hungover. Some of these commercial brews are a ****ing joke with how loaded their beers are with syrups and flavorings

I have to agree on that. I feel like really letting the yeast have their way and ferment out everything including their byproducts that it makes me less hungover. Some of these commercial brews are a ducking joke with how loaded their beers are with syrups and flavorings

And the vitamin B12 that yeast make. Don't get that in filtered commercial beers.

To me ABV is ABV. Carbonation may make your body absorb the alcohol faster?? I have never noticed any difference. Hops may have some effect?? I have never noticed any difference. Commercial to homebrew may have some effect?? I have never noticed any difference.

Drunk is drunk.... If you want to be less drunk you have to drink less.

I do like most of my homebrews more than most commercial beers though.

I find my homebrew and microbrews get me buzzed allot quicker I feel this is due to them being more natural and my body is able to more easily break it down. Also I find the hangover to be allot less if at all on my homebrew/ microbrew compared to macrobrews. Just my .02c

Well I guess I have to be the one . . . Stouts are ales!

But yeah, alcohol is alcohol. There may be other factors like how hops can have a sedative effect, and composition of beer in regards to protein, vitamins with unfiltered yeast, sugars, etc. In how it makes you feel in the moment and in the morning. I have heard a friend claim dark beers make him "sloppy," and claims from certain people that whiskey ****s them up more than other hard liquor. Nonsense, I'd say.

I enjoy all beer. Commercial or homebrew. Macro, Micro. Enjoy quite a few other forms of alcohol, too. I do find, though, that my own homebrew seems to satisfy me on, at least, a few more levels than anything that I could buy from a shop or is made by someone else. My own brews seem to have many of the facets I look for in an ideal, alcoholic, beverage;
Flavour, fragrance, balance, texture, buzz, right price, variety, pride, educational, inspirational, social,,,,,,,,the list goes on.

Having the right flavour, aroma, strength, quantity, balance for your own, personal, consumption adds to the unique buzz you experience. If you can arrange all that in a single beverage you've achieved Bachal Nirvana.

Or maybe my standards, and tastes, are lacking!! :)

Seeing how this is a serious reason beer is so popular, I want to see what everyone's opinion is on ABV afecting qualities of the finished product as well as quality of alcohol of homebrewed beer vs commercial beer.

May not be exactly what you're asking, but one thing I notice about my homebrew is my higher ABV brews (higher than their commercial comparators, not big beers) have a more pleasant alcohol flavor even with higher alcohol. I guess what I'm saying is my alcohol tastes way better than the alcohol in commercial. I can definitely taste a difference.

I find my homebrew and microbrews get me buzzed allot quicker I feel this is due to them being more natural and my body is able to more easily break it down. Also I find the hangover to be allot less if at all on my homebrew/ microbrew compared to macrobrews. Just my .02c

Ive gota completely agree with you on this. Hence the reason I brew my own. Beer is so bomb to begin with but making my own at a better quality to myself and my beer, that's the best.

May not be exactly what you're asking, but one thing I notice about my homebrew is my higher ABV brews (higher than their commercial comparators, not big beers) have a more pleasant alcohol flavor even with higher alcohol. I guess what I'm saying is my alcohol tastes way better than the alcohol in commercial. I can definitely taste a difference.

Exactly, the difference to me is totally there. I'm guessing its not the alc itself but just byproducts of fermentation that are there in commercial brew for whatever reason. For me its like drinking Smirnoff compared to Top shelf Craft vodka.

Latest posts

Back