Get rid of any possibility of infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdbrew1024

Reaction score
My last many brews have not turned out the way I want them. They have all shared the same off flavors regardless of beer type, IE a bock and an IPA and a stout all have the same weird, undesired flavor in it. Short of completely replacing my equipment altogether what is a 100% sure method of ensuring that I kill any/everything living on my equipment? My glass carboys seem to minimize this effect while my plastic buckets seem to exhibit it more. Anything else I should be aware of? other equipment to definitely replace? I should say that there is no visible sign of infection, meaning there isn't any pellicles or other weird growths on the top of my beers before racking.

I should also say that I have made 40+ point beers on this equipment in the past, so I'm fairly certain it's not my recipes or technique in general.

I highly doubt an infection given basic sanitation and the fact that you don't see anything to say "infection".

What kind of off-flavour? When was the last time you checked your water report?

A description of this off flavor would help. What do you mean by the term "point" beers? Too assume it's an infection may lead you down the wrong path. The best solution would be to describe the off flavor and see if infection is likely. It could be oxidation, improper fermentation temp, improper boiling, etc, etc. I'm just trying to say that off flavors come from multiple problems. Could it be from something else?

If it is indeed infection and a bad one, sometimes you have to scrap plastic equipment. I could not kill an infection in one of my plastic buckets.

The reason I first thought of infection is that the wort generally tastes fine, but there's a terrible smell and a not-quite-as-bad taste in the beer post fermentation, before racking or anything.

Even if infection is not my problem, is there a way to deep clean my equipment that would guarantee to kill everything?

I have heard quite a bit that its good practice to replace plastic buckets and tubing about every 7 ish brews.
If you want your stuff to be clean, a nice long, hot soak in pbw will do the trick. The when it comes time to brew, a correct mix of starsan and h20 will do the sanitizing job well. I keep a spray bottle with star san ready at all times.

I of course clean my equipment in OxyClean or PBW after every use, and sanitize with starsan before using again.

I'll open a bucket tonight and try to get a good description of the off smell/taste

I'm having a similar issue sdbrew. I've boiled all of my tubing, new airlocks, switched away from kegs back to bottles. Lots of stuff. Mine doesn't show up in the fermenter generally though, has to incubate a few months in keg/bottle.

Back