german pils recipe??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brockettbrews

Reaction score
2.5 gallon batch

2 lbs of german pilsner
1 lb of light munich
.5 lb of honey malt
.5 lb carbils
1 0z hallertauer at 60 min???

mash at 155 for 60 min
sparge at 170
using 34/70 lager yeast

The honey malt is out of place in a German pils as is the Munich malt if you are trying to keep it in the style. A half pound of Carapils in that 2.5 gallon batch is way too much IMO. That's 12.5% of the grist. Three ounces seems about right for that batch. The Hallertauer are fine but without knowing the AA% an answer as to the amount being correct cannot be given. I would suggest adding a second addition at perhaps 15/20 minutes as the pils should have some hop flavor & aroma as well as bitterness. Find out the AA% of you hops and run them through a recipe program. High 20s to mid 30s IBU would be the typical range for a German pils. Bringing the mash temp down would also be a good idea. Try 150F.

Here's a revision for comparison:

4 lbs German pils malt
3 oz CaraPils (or use CaraHell if you want a hint of sweetness)

Hallertau @ 60 to ~28IBU
Hallertau @ 20 (1/3 amount used @ 60)

I agree, lower your mash temp. Maybe even a two step mash.

140 for 20 min
150 for 40 min
mash out
Mash out 170 for 10
Sparge 180

What do you guys think?

Four pounds of pils malt will work fine. I would use 60, 15, and 1 minute hop additions. Probably .3-.5 oz at 15 and .1-3 oz at 1.

Most of the time mine are just 8lb pilsner, 20L at 12P and ~30 IBU. I just drank some of this one with small percentages of carahell, carapils, unmalted wheat and some melanoldin yesterday.
http://hopville.com/recipe/1256105/german-pilsner-pils-recipes/st-george-pils
I like it.

Back