german pils hop selection advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrea93

Reaction score
hi! for my first bottom-fermentation homebrewed, I'd like to brew a german pils. It will be 100% weyermann pils malt since I want a hop-forward german pils. I'm looking for a spicy, floral and refreshing hoppiness.
My doubts are about the hop selection. The candidates are:
-hallertau mittlefruh
-tettnager
-spalt
-strissespalt

reading some review of these hops i'd go with strissespalt and mittlefruh. I would avoid the combo mittlefruh-tettnager because it is too classic. Moreover, i don't want use more than two hops (because i haven't yet used them and i want recognize each contribution in the final beer).
what do you suggest? which combo is better for you? is strissespalt a good hop for a pils or his lemon notes are too strong for a so delicate style?

It's entirely up to you and agree that using no more than two is a good idea. Any or all of those hops are perfectly fine for the beer. I'd go with all Spalt simply because it's my favorite but use what you like best. Pick you favorite for flavor as a late hop and use one of the others as the bittering hop.

After making many, many german pils, I've decided that tettnager was the best. Single hop.

The best or your favorite? I love German beers, making them and drinking them, but I don't care for Tettnager hops.

Spalt and Santiam are also good for that classic Bavarian/German style. I am a fan of Tettnager and that is a good way to go as well.....

John

i like magnum for bittering, tettnang for flavor and aroma, and maybe a wee bitty tett or saaz dry hop.

Feel free to do 100% pilsner malt, but this is really a good time to bust out the carapils. I find i like closer to 10%, but 5% is fine. The extra dextrins will help tremendously with mouthfeel and foam, if all else is correct.

Spalt and Santiam are also good for that classic Bavarian/German style. I am a fan of Tettnager and that is a good way to go as well.....

John

I haven't been considering santiam but reading some descriptions it could be interesting. It is described as a cross between mittlefruh and tettnager so principally spicy, floral and a bit earthy. Is it a good description for you?

I haven't been considering santiam but reading some descriptions it could be interesting. It is described as a cross between mittlefruh and tettnager so principally spicy, floral and a bit earthy. Is it a good description for you?

Yes that's pretty much how I would describe it too. Very nice hop but not in your face either, unless you use too much. I also use it in my German dunkelweizen beers with Spalt and it really is a great combo. You may really like it if you try it....

John

After making many, many german pils, I've decided that tettnager was the best. Single hop.

I also brew this style often, and I also couldn't imagine doing it without tettnang.

Regarding your desire to stick with 2 hop varieties. I am struggling to respond to that. I would have a hard time removing even 1 of the 4 hop varieties I use. Hallertauer, Tettnang, Spalt, and Saaz. They are each very different and they each come thru in the finished product.

If I had a gun to my head I would pick Spalt and Tettnang. Saaz as a standalone or with only 1 other hop would be way too 1 dimensional and stand out. Hallertauer is I guess the least exciting of the 4.

thank you for yours replies! so spalt and tettnager seems to be the most chosen hops.. and what about strissespalt? anyone used it? is it good for german pils although it is a french hops?

the country of origin is really of no importance for both the malt and hops. All that matters is the characteristics of each. Any noble-ish hop will go well in a pilsner, german, french, american, or whatever. Same with the pilsner malt

Strisselspalt is a classic French noble-type hop. Low bittering, mild and spicy

hi! for my first bottom-fermentation homebrewed, I'd like to brew a german pils. It will be 100% weyermann pils malt since I want a hop-forward german pils. I'm looking for a spicy, floral and refreshing hoppiness.
My doubts are about the hop selection. The candidates are:
-hallertau mittlefruh
-tettnager
-spalt
-strissespalt

reading some review of these hops i'd go with strissespalt and mittlefruh. I would avoid the combo mittlefruh-tettnager because it is too classic. Moreover, i don't want use more than two hops (because i haven't yet used them and i want recognize each contribution in the final beer).
what do you suggest? which combo is better for you? is strissespalt a good hop for a pils or his lemon notes are too strong for a so delicate style?

I've never used strissespalt. I did experiment with mittlefruh, hallertau, saaz (a lot), maybe some others. I do large batches and try different amounts of hops (IBUs) to get the bittering and OG right. Anyway, for my taste, 100% pilsner malt and 100% tettnanger and 1.050 and 34 IBU is perfect.

To be honest, it never occurred to me to use a blend of hops. Maybe I'll give that a shot next time.

I've never used strissespalt. I did experiment with mittlefruh, hallertau, saaz (a lot), maybe some others. I do large batches and try different amounts of hops (IBUs) to get the bittering and OG right. Anyway, for my taste, 100% pilsner malt and 100% tettnanger and 1.050 and 34 IBU is perfect.

To be honest, it never occurred to me to use a blend of hops. Maybe I'll give that a shot next time.

since you've done a lot of experiments, can you describe me the differences between mittlefruh and tettnanger? because on the internet they seem very similar..

since you've done a lot of experiments, can you describe me the differences between mittlefruh and tettnanger? because on the internet they seem very similar..

I can't. Make German lagers two or three times a year, and I experiment every time. I kept good notes of the exact recipes I was trying, but not tasting notes. So, all I can tell you is that when I tried tettnanger it was exactly the flavor I've been looking for, and that's how I made my last two batches. I wish I had tasting notes, but I haven't done that in years (except for when there were major problems).

I spent a while trying to make a Victory Primo Pils clone. It might be that I've finally made that, but I'm not sure since I haven't had one of this in some time. Maybe I'll pick some up and compare.

BTW, I thought the best yeast (for this beer) was Wyeast 2308, but I have a batch on tap now that I made with W34/70 (Weyestephaner strain) that is very good. So, not sure about the yeast yet.

Here's my recipe (actually not the most recent)
http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/894144/passedpawn-perfect-pilsner

Magnum/Mittelfrueh are my favorites.

I used N.Brewer once to bitter with & it was way too earthy/herbal for that style in my opinion.

Just tapped new keg (one I forgot I had actually). It's really really good. Very crisp.

Same recipe as I mentioned above, but this one I was playing with the pH. I had the pH way down around 5.0. Not sure if that had anything to do with it, but it's very well attenuated, hop profile is perfect, no pesky ale-like flavors/aromas to be found. It's also very very pale, which is how I like my pilsners.

Enjoying a German Pilsner right now. (My first effort)

Hallertau and a little Saaz

Here is the hop bill
Screen Shot 2016-01-28 at 6.43.49 PM.png

Here is the beer
1.jpg

Just picked up a pound of Tettnanger for a Pils next weekend brew.

Enjoying a German Pilsner right now. (My first effort)

Hallertau and a little Saaz

Here is the hop bill
View attachment 333645

Here is the beer
View attachment 333644

Just picked up a pound of Tettnanger for a Pils next weekend brew.

That looks very drinkable Gavin!

For my taste, keep the OG low (45-48) and go for great attenuation. IMO, if you want G Pils don't add any carapils or anything else. That's a BoPils.

That looks very drinkable Gavin!

For my taste, keep the OG low (45-48) and go for great attenuation. IMO, if you want G Pils don't add any carapils or anything else. That's a BoPils.

Hope you like it.
OG and FG.001.jpg

Pretty simple grain bill. Some acid malt to manage pH and 1.5% melanoiden for a mockcoction. Next one I have a different plan.

I like to brew them that way, with a relatively light body. The CO2 will add to the body when they are fully carbonated. There's plenty of flavor in a G. Pils compared to a light lager since there's not filler malt (rice, corn, etc.). With enough IBUs, they should be sharp but not bitter. Just get the right hop for your own palate.

Time in the keg/bottle with help with the head. Not sure why, but that seems to be the case.

Back