German Merkur

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schemy

Reaction score
Has anyone used Merkur with any success.

Our club did a dry hop tasting last night. (Dry hopped coors light with a few pellets of a hops, sat for 3 days, and did a tasting) Anyway Merkur was horrible. Smelled and tasted like danky dirty mushrooms mixed with an unidentified foot fungus.

So wanted to see if anyone has used it for anything and enjoyed the results.

To be fair it is traditionally used as a bittering hop, but I still can't imagin imparting any sort of that flavor in my beers.

My experience has been quite different. The merkur I've had are like a much more floral hallertau which smell great. They are very low in cohumulone (18-19%) so extremely "clean" bittering.

Don't know about Merkur. But I don't think you could have picked a worse beer for your test... ;)

Yeah that was kind of the point. We wanted a flavorless light lager to use as a dry hopping liquid. CL fits the bill.

Sorry to bump an old post. I'm brewing through a series of SMASH IPAs to try out more under-the-radar hops. Merkur has actually been my favorite so far.

A very nice deep-but-still-smooth bitter and enough spice/floral character to come through as a dry hop. I wasn't expecting much TBH, but ended up very pleased by this hop.

I think it was narrowed down that the club used some old/bad Murkur at the time.

Back