German Alt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphmag025

Reaction score
I brewed a German alt all grain from northern brewer on Sept. 6th. It has been fermenting at 55 degrees. It is done fermenting. The plan was to keg and let it sit at 35 degrees for a couple weeks. However, just came upon a large amount of pork and beef and need the beer freezer for the meat. What do you think the effects will be if we take it out into room temp until we have the room again? Any advice would be appreciated. Just couldn't turn down the protein given the craziness going on...

You could still keg it, but let it naturally carb with sugar instead of force carbing it. That will keep light and O2 from getting to it. It would be a good way to use the room temp environment to your favor, especially if its going to take some time to get through your meat surplus. I'm also more than happy to take some off your hands if you really need the space!

Any I'll effects if I can't keg until the weekend? Pa is starting to have an Indian Summer now! Dumb luck!

What do you think the effects will be if we take it out into room temp until we have the room again?

Reactions, including staling reactions, happen faster at higher temps. So an effect would be that the beer will not be as fresh for as long. But a few days isn't going to ruin your beer or anything.

Pretty much what @VikeMan said, a few days until the weekend wont ruin it.

The reason I suggested using sugar to carb it in the keg is that it would help reduce any oxygen picked up during transfer. Not a lot, but every little bit helps.

Back