German Alt Beer yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TAPPAR

Reaction score
I got a northern brewer German Alt Beer kit for x-mas. Should be fun, not something I would have thought of trying on my own :mug: Question is, it came with dry S-05 ale yeast. The instructions say that they also recommend WY 1007 German ale for this kit. My intuition says that I should pair it with the German strain, however I don't know how much of a difference it would really make.

What difference could I expect between the two?

I am going to be trying need to get some more yeast for a couple SMASH 1 gallon test recipes, I could use the S-05 for that so it wouldn't go to waste.

Thanks!

Never used dry yeast before but I have used White Labs Alt/Kolsch yeast before for my Alt. Overall the Alt strains produce a very clean flavor profile w/ not a lot of esters, similar to lager strains and even Cal/American ale yeast to some degree. Not sure how much a difference the beer would result in if you used the dry yeast but if you're a stickler for brewing to style and traditional methods/ingredients go with the Alt strain

the alt style is partly defined by a very cool fermentation and a period of cold storage. at what temperature will you be fermenting?

I like 1007 it gives the beer a clean profile and really let's the malt shine through. The yeast has just enough flavor to let you know you are drinking a german style beer. I would use it over us-05 for sure if you are making an Alt.

If you run the us-05 at alt-type temps, the yeast-derived flavors should be similarly absent, but 05 is a little hungrier. I use White Labs alt yeast for my clean lower-gravity ales, as it doesn't finish as dry as American yeasts would..

I don't have a lagering setup, but the kit doesn't call for one. I am thinking I will set this up against a cold window out to the porch to try to keep it as cool as possible while fermenting though.

Im not a stickler for style however I would like it to be representative since it is the first one I will have ever tried.

Overall sounds like I will get a maltier character from the German yeast strain? If so I will definitely go for that one!

the alt style is partly defined by a very cool fermentation and a period of cold storage. at what temperature will you be fermenting?

I agree with this. If you ferment the German ale yeast too warm you might get too estery . I would use the safe ale . How large is the yeast pack.

You will like the beer either way , here my money is with an overpitched clean ale yeast.

In ia if you have a basement that may be the best bet, don't let the beer sit in the sun.

55 to 60 is best for this beer. But it really depends on the yeast. Pacman may be good here and just keep it as cool as possible.

Basement is finished and heated so that wouldn't help anything, and garage is too cold/temperature varies too much :(

The yeast that they recommend is an ale yeast: http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=150
and it looks like it goes up to 68 which I could keep it around.

As far as the putting it against a window thing, its a covered porch so no direct sunlight and was going to put a towel over it, just keep it pressed up against it for some cooling.

Back