Gelatin to drop spices out of suspension?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1van

Reaction score
Re- produced a spiced beer from the past and think I may have read the notes wrong and added too mach spices in secondary. Thinking about cold crashing then fining with gelatin now (only been in secondary a few days). Anyone have experience knocking out spices with gelatin?

Bump....anybody have ideas? Perhaps this is in the wrong forum

Gelatin and finings work on yeast to facilitate them to clump together and fall out of solution. The flavors from spice are small molecules and are in there to stay. your best bet is to brew a second batch and try to blend it with the spicy one till you get the flavor you are looking for.

+1 to above post.

I had a similar problem with a pumpkin ale a month or so ago and fined with gelatin (just to clear, didn't think about spices) and, while I now have crystal clear beer, it didn't do much of anything to the spice flavors. Fortunately in my case the beer turned out to be much less overspiced than I originally thought because I was pulling a lot of spices that had dropped to the bottom of the keg (even after the first few pints).

This might not seem like the best solution (especially if you keg) but just age it. I usually buy the holiday beers (pumpkin, etc) and don't even drink them for a year. They are just way to overspiced for my taste but mellow out by 6-8 months.

By way of update,

I racked to keg, cold crashed and kegged after only a few days in secondary. Beer was just spicy enough. I dont normally secondary at all but since this required the addition of spices for aroma I did this time. I am hoping that only leaving the beer to marinate in the spices a few days may have kept it from being overpowering. After kegging, fined with gelatin and it is carbing up now. In a few days I will review and submit a pic

By way of update,

I racked to keg, cold crashed and kegged after only a few days in secondary. Beer was just spicy enough. I dont normally secondary at all but since this required the addition of spices for aroma I did this time. I am hoping that only leaving the beer to marinate in the spices a few days may have kept it from being overpowering. After kegging, fined with gelatin and it is carbing up now. In a few days I will review and submit a pic

Latest posts

Back