Gelatin in secondary and keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mainer28

Reaction score
I am looking for a crystal clear beer for a blonde ale I am bringing to a party. I have two questions.

1) Has anyone used gelatin in the secondary and also in the keg. Is this necessary? It seems to me, it would guarantee clear beer.

2) Once I have clear beer, I need to transport about 50 miles to party. How long will it take for the sediment to settle back out so it can be served.

Thank you,

Mainer

I wouldn't use gelatin in the keg- just in secondary is fine. (Although, I've never used gelatin or anything like that, so I'm not speaking from experience). If you use gelatin in the keg, you'll resuspend it when you move the keg and have gelatin goobers floating.

When I take a keg, I like perfectly clear and sediment free beer. In my opinion, the best way to do it is the allow the keg to clear and carb up without moving it.

Once it's clear, I "jump" the clear beer into a new sanitized keg. It's super easy. I made a jumper cable out of two black QDs and about 5 feet of beer line. Sanitize the receiving keg, and give it a little blast of co2. Set the regulator that is on the first keg to 2-3 psi, or just enough to push the beer. Then, put the first black quick-disconnect on the first keg (with the beer in it), purge the receiving keg by pulling the pressure relief valve, and put the second QD onto the receiving keg on the "out" line. The beer will start to flow. Pull the pressure relief valve every few seconds on that receiving keg, and the beer will fill the second keg.

That will make a sediment free keg of beer that you can take and will resettle quickly. It sounds way more complicated than it is, as it takes less than 10 minutes and it's a closed transfer under c02 so the beer comes out perfectly. That stops any problem with sediment, as well as keeps the beer clear.

Back