gathering equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abweatherley

Reaction score
hi guys I'm new to the homebrewing bug. after drinking too much cheap crappy domestic and paying through the nose for below average beer. i have made the decision to brew my own.

my question is is it it possible to brew in a 5 gallon "ale Pail" or do I need to fork out the money for a 6.5 Gal. The reason i ask is that I can get 5 Gal buckets for $2.50 a piece. They are a HDPE which is food safe I believe.

You can definitely brew in these. The purpose of the 6.5G is to allow some room for the rising yeast/krausen layer. Without the extra space, it blows the lid off and makes a mess.

+1 on a kit with 6.5gal bucket(s)

Without seeming to endorse one place or another, just do a google search for "home brewing supplies". You'll find all you need.

Oh, btw...start finding some non screw top bottles by enlisting some friends.

I agree with DIVER. The hardest part is getting enough bottles to put all of your beer in lol. Start saving em now! You CAN Brew in the 5 gallon pails but you will have a mess. UNLESS you do half a batch in each bucket. I have done it and it worked. BUT then you have 5 bucks invested already and the 6.5 gal pail is not much more.

I agree with DIVER. The hardest part is getting enough bottles to put all of your beer in lol. Start saving em now! You CAN Brew in the 5 gallon pails but you will have a mess. UNLESS you do half a batch in each bucket. I have done it and it worked. BUT then you have 5 bucks invested already and the 6.5 gal pail is not much more.

I disagree...emptying bottles is the FUN part, I definitely did not find it hard to empty bottles :D Plus it gives you a chance to try some different styles you may not have had before :mug:

I disagree...emptying bottles is the FUN part, I definitely did not find it hard to empty bottles :D Plus it gives you a chance to try some different styles you may not have had before :mug:

You will need to start drinking something while your pipeline starts up... trying new styles will help broaden your palate. Go ahead and start buying some craft beer samplers if they are available. :)

I agree that you will need/want more equipment than just a bucket. If someone does not have the cash to get some brew equipment, then they can make do without that stuff. They can bottle in 20 oz. plastic Coke bottles, etc... there are shortcuts/cheapcuts. All that you really, REALLY need is a fermenter and a pot to boil stuff in, but the other stuff makes it sooooo much easier and more fun.

So, if you can afford the kit, get the kit. If not, get (in order of importance):
1) siphon
2) hydrometer
3) thermometer
4) bottle capper and caps
5) bigger pot

ahhh but emptying 2 cases quickly for me is difficult.

Ask around, once people find out you homebrew they magically become your friend and sometimes throw a bottle or two your way!
Craigslist can be your best friend, especially if you like to make/modify your own equipment!
Don't know if your state has a bottle return but if so, worst case scenario tell people you'll pay them the nickel or whatever for their bottles.
Palmer's "How to Brew" online is a great and free source of info!

Best thing for bottles is talk to a bar owner they will be happy to save a couple cases. Or go on craigslist and ask for Grolsch bottles, thats what i use but. Bottles should be easy to come by..cleaning them and being anal about it is the only part of home brewing that sucks. Its like cleaning a fermentation bucket and sanitizing it 40-50 times.

wow already 2 pages and I only posted this around 12 hours ago, thank for the advice, another question would be I guess. What size hose do I use for the blow off and two how do I go attaching it to my Lid do I need a rubber bung or can I jury rig it with Duct Tape LOL

You will find this hobby much more satisfying and enjoyable if you purchase the right equipment the first time rather than try to save money every time you turn around. This takes time and patience if you are on a tight budget but it will train you for all the waiting that comes after you pitch the yeast.

First brew I ever made I had Krausen all over my floor and air lock...wall. But didn't effect my beer tasted great and this was before I get alot of great advise on this forum. I believe that brewing is fun...but you can't get lazy about the process or cut corners ..it will just lead to disappointment in the end.

I use the plastic "ale pail" and my brews taste fine. I usually use the pail as a primary and move it over to a 6.5 gallon glass carboy as a secondary (mainly because the pail is easier to clean out).

As far as getting enough bottles, I have never had a problem with this. Invite some friends over, have a few six packs of new, interesting beer, and have a great time.

+1000 on befriending a bar owner.. I have bottles runnin out my ears from 2 bar owner friends.

5 gallon bucket is fine. Use a blow-off tube instead of an airlock.

Nobody's mentioned fermcap. This might be an option for an otherwise too small fermenter. I've never used it during fermentation, but I've done a 1L starter, which I boiled in the 1L flask with no boil-over using fermcap. I have also done near 7 gal boils in a 7.5 gal turkey fryer pot with no boil-over. I know it can be used during fermentation to control krausen with no negative effects (that I've heard) on the final product.

Try your local brewing shop. I went to the main one in Ft Collins and was prepared to buy some 22 oz bottles and the employee points to about 5 cases of used 22 oz bottles. He said take whatever you need, they're free, and people bring them to the store all the time! Saved me a ton of $$$ and all I had to do was soak the labels off, clean them, etc...maybe other stores do that too!

Latest posts

Back