gate valve for propane?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it doesn't say "WOG" (Water-Oil-Gas) on it, I would not use it. A valve rated for gas service doesn't cost much more.

gate vales tent to leak,as they seal metal to metal.
ball valves have a plastic seat in them for 100% shut off

Do you think they would still leak if they are rated for water, gas, air, and oil? They seem like they would provide pretty granular flow changes..

the cost would be a major factor.
I am guessing you are trying to adjust your gas to control your flame?
the easiest way would be to use a regulator like the kind that come on a turkey fryer.
I can throttle down my burner till it goes out with mine

Do you think they would still leak if they are rated for water, gas, air, and oil? They seem like they would provide pottery granular flow changes..

Don't know what "pottery granular flow changes" means, but I've never seen a gate valve used on a brew sculpture, and given how enterprising home brewers seem to be, if there was perceived value in using one you can bet someone would have done so...

Cheers!

A gate valve is not going to give you much control over the flow rate through it. I would go with a needle valve or something more appropriate.

Don't know what "pottery granular flow changes" means, but I've never seen a gate valve used on a brew sculpture, and given how enterprising home brewers seem to be, if there was perceived value in using one you can bet someone would have done so...

Cheers!

my bad damn you andriod 'swipe to text' meant to say pretty granular adjustments.

I don't know what the orifice size is but I suppose you could contact them if you have a specific application or burner size in mind to see if they know if it'll work. I used it in conjunction with the burners they sell...

Back