Gas valve for HERMS build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewintheboat

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been looking around on these forums but couldn't quite find the info I need, so sorry if this thread is redundant.

I am starting to build a semi-automated gas fired single tier HERMS system and I need to decide on which gas valve to use. The HLT will be fired with a 23 tip jet burner that I will be scavenging from my current set-up. I run this burner with a 0-30 psi regulator so I can achieve my boil quicker and fine tune the flame. I'm sure I run it higher than 1/2 psi but I dont know exactly what the pressure is. Most of the gas valves seem to either peak at 1/2 psi or need 3 or 4 psi to open. Since I dont know exactly what PSI I keep my burner at, I don't know which type of valve to get. So my questions are:

1)are there any gas valves out there that will handle higher psi but wouldn't necessarily require a lot of pressure to open.

2) Will 1/2 psi of gas on a jet burner be enough to properly heat a HLT in a 15 gal system?

Thanks for your help.

Back