Gas Stove wont Boil 4 Gallons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nman13

Reaction score
For the past year I've lived in a tiny apartment that had a really small electric coil stove that couldn't boil anything. As a result, I spent the year brewing across the street at my neighbors (exclusively 5 gallon All Grain batches.)

I moved last week to an apartment with a gas stove and was really looking forward to brewing at my new place. As it turns out, the stove can't bring 4 gallons to boil :(

I'm wondering what my options are at this point. I really would like to brew indoors so if someone could recommend a good heating element (not sure if they require set up but I'd prefer if they didn't)

Cheers!

Did you look at the specs on the stove? Many gas stoves have burners of varying btus per burner. Or are all of your burners the same strength?

Unfortunately there is no washer/dryer in my apartment. Do I have any other options? Perhaps some type of conversion or something (I'm not really so knowledgable on the electric side of things.)

Build or buy a heat stick to supplement your stove.

Lots of DIY versions to be found here. I think MoreBeer has a commercial version .... Or you can buy the bucket warmer which looks be the same thing.

Thanks guys! I think I am going to go with a heat-stick and gas stove combo.

Based on your experiences, do you think one 1000W heat stick combined with a gas stove can get 7 gallons to boil? Or will I need two heat sticks?

Thanks!

Depends on your stove... Just remember, you might need a 20 amp circuit for 2 sticks.... I think 1500 watts is the max recommended for a 15amp circuit. Plus GFCI near liquids.

Try it with one and see how it goes. You can always add another if one isn't enough.

A 1500W heat stick would be better than 1000W to start with. And yes, you must plug it into a GFCI outlet.

Thanks for all the help guys! I dont have a GFCI outlet in my kitchen so I think I will go with the 1000W version. Hopefully it can maintain some type of boil.....

I have a trick that will cost you $0.03

add three pennies to the bottom of your pot. They will help your 4 gallons boil :):ban:

It's not an either/or.

GFCI should be used on any electrical device that has the possibility of coming in contact with water.

You can buy a GFCI protected cord lead that plugs into a regular outlet too.

[...]I dont have a GFCI outlet in my kitchen so I think I will go with the 1000W version[...]

Excuse me, that logic escapes me. :drunk:

Code says, any receptacle within 3 feet from your sink/faucet has to be GFCI protected. There's a valid reason for that, it prevents electrocution when things go out of hand. Your heat stick (any wattage) falls in that same category when used to heat water.

You can also try two pots on two burners. Split your boil. Use a cover while coming up to boiling. Put a thermometer through the lid to watch the temps.

Thanks for the heads up. As I mentioned before, I'm not so familiar with electrical side of things. I honestly thought GFCI was for higher voltage and not water.

I found a GFCI plug on Amazon for $13. I'll get that and plug it in to my wall.

Latest posts

Back