Gas in beer line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbb3

Reaction score
I recently joined the keezer club with the completion of a 3 tap coffin top keezer build using 3/16" lines and flow control faucets.

I connected up the first keg which was only half full from a little taste testing... ;)

I poured my first 3 beers and had some excessive foam even when I turned the flow control down to slow the flow. So I opened the top to look things over and saw a fairly large gas bubble in the beer line (about 8 inches long).

I disconnected the QD from the post and held it down low so the gas bubble would rise up toward the tap. Re-connected and opened the tap to purge the gas. Once the gas was gone it poured great!

But then, I came back later for another beer and the same thing. I opened the top again and sure enough, another large gas bubble was in the beer line again.

When I looked close, I could see tiny gas bubbles rising up from the QD into the beer line. At first I though the CO2 was coming out of solution? Even though I can't think why it would??

But, the keg was bought used. Now I'm wondering if there is a seal inside that is allowing the gas to seep in where the dip tube connects to the post??

Thoughts???

Sorry for the long post...

What PSI is your regulator set?
What temperature is the beer coming out?
How long are your 3/16 lines?

With flow control faucets the line length vs. pressure becomes much less important, but I do think temperature is most likely the problem. That or overcarbonation.

Do you have a fan in your new keezer?

Two actually. One blowing in both directions to circulate air in the coffin top and in the freezer.

Inside coffin with fans.jpg

With flow control faucets the line length vs. pressure becomes much less important, but I do think temperature is most likely the problem. That or overcarbonation.

Agree. I've got 6 foot lines @ 10psi but with flow controls, that should be a non-factor.

I drank half the keg using a party tap out of a frig so it's not over carbed. It's GOOD! ;)

Right now, I have a gallon jug full of water sitting on the floor of the freezer with the temp probe hanging in the water. The controller is set on 1.5 deg C. I'm thinking the jug of water sitting on the floor of the freezer is giving me a colder reading than the actual ambient temp but it shouldn't be a drastic variation??

Ambient temp is probably in the low to mid 40s F

It appears that temperature may have been the issue after all?? After reading your posts, even though I initially didn't think it was a factor, I went back and took temp readings in the freezer and in the coffin. The freezer was right around 38-40 deg and the coffin was around 55 deg.

I had my fans turned down as low as they would go and still turn so I increased the fan speed and let things equalize. After an hour or two I took another reading in the coffin and now it's in the mid 40s.

It seems to have helped but a few more pours will tell the story.

Thanks for the suggestions!

One last thing to check is the post/poppit in the 'out' post.

Did you take it off and clean it and inspect it before filling it with beer? If not, depressurize the keg, and remove the post. It could be something as simple as a piece of hops clogged in the poppit, or a torn or missing o-ring on the poppit.

Make sure there is an o-ring under the flange of the diptube, and while you're at it you can take out the diptube, hold it up to the light, and 'eyeball' it to make sure no debris is stuck in there.

The o-ring under the flange has to be in good shape, as does the o-ring on the poppit and on the post itself.

One last thing to check is the post/poppit in the 'out' post.

Did you take it off and clean it and inspect it before filling it with beer? If not, depressurize the keg, and remove the post. It could be something as simple as a piece of hops clogged in the poppit, or a torn or missing o-ring on the poppit.

Make sure there is an o-ring under the flange of the diptube, and while you're at it you can take out the diptube, hold it up to the light, and 'eyeball' it to make sure no debris is stuck in there.

The o-ring under the flange has to be in good shape, as does the o-ring on the poppit and on the post itself.

I did not disassemble the post when I got the keg. It held pressure so I assumed it was fine.

But will do so to inspect and replace the o-rings. Probably should have done that right off that bat...

Thanks for the information!!

Back