Garlic Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonzombiekitty

Reaction score
I just tried some Garlic Beer the other day. In the words of my brother in law, it's "not as bad as you'd think". Really, it tasted fine, a little more on the sour ale end of things. What made it hard to drink was the smell. The garlic aroma is just so over powering in the glass that it's just too much. I couldn't finish the glass. I'd say drink it just out of the bottle in order to avoid that strong aroma, but then you'd have a piece of garlic constantly blocking neck. I bet this stuff is great to cook with.

I just tried some Garlic Beer the other day. In the words of my brother in law, it's "not as bad as you'd think". Really, it tasted fine, a little more on the sour ale end of things. What made it hard to drink was the smell. The garlic aroma is just so over powering in the glass that it's just too much. I couldn't finish the glass. I'd say drink it just out of the bottle in order to avoid that strong aroma, but then you'd have a piece of garlic constantly blocking neck. I bet this stuff is great to cook with.

Take a Six pack of it and Soak some ribs in it overnight!

As strange as it sounds... I want to try it. I'm a huge garlic nut. Soaking some ribs or any sort of pork or meat in it sounds awesome too. I'm curious what the method that is used to brew it.

Awesome. I'm inspired. Definitely going to brew a batch this year.

Roasting garlic and throwing it in a light blonde/cream/summer/lawnmower beer may be good. I love garlic but it could get pretty overpowering after a few beers if they just toss raw garlic in.

I'm also interested in how bad this beer makes your breath stink. Sometimes after eating a lot of garlic I can't seem to get the funk off of me.

I'm also interested in how bad this beer makes your breath stink. Sometimes after eating a lot of garlic I can't seem to get the funk off of me.

The way I cook with garlic, that is pretty much always the case for me :)

That is because the way garlic metabolizes and exits your body, in the form of sweat. In the not to distant past, there were some high school guys that started taking garlic for its herbal qualities and after a few days they began to have a fierce body odor that was not able to be countered with normal hygiene. If memory serves me correctly they were asked to stay home until it was purged from their systems because it was so bad the other students + faculty were unable to be near them for the smell. (This is from memory so the details may be slightly off but that is the story as I recall it.)

I do not think I could handle more than 1 of these but it would be fun to pair it into a nice meal.

I went to visit the Magic Hat Brewery not too long ago and the tour guide told us that they tried a garlic beer early on in their existence as a brewery. They dropped a clove of garlic in every bottle when bottling. Long story short...it was found to be so offensive, that they ended up having to buy back every case they sold...

Timely thread for me - I brewed an Amarillo ipa and with dinner to night I dropped a small clove of roasted garlic in my glass. I thought it tasted pretty good and was thinking about brewing another batch and dry hopping with a far. Loves of roasted garlic.

Any suggestions as to how much to use?

This thread caught my attention! I love garlic! I cook with it almost every chance I get, and usually end up eating about twice the amount while I'm cooking. I pickled a pint sized jar of garlic cloves and brought some into work with me as a snack. Most people thought I was crazy, but some others tried a clove or two and thought they were good. I had about 15-20 cloves that day, which brings up this quote --->

That is because the way garlic metabolizes and exits your body, in the form of sweat. In the not to distant past, there were some high school guys that started taking garlic for its herbal qualities and after a few days they began to have a fierce body odor that was not able to be countered with normal hygiene. If memory serves me correctly they were asked to stay home until it was purged from their systems because it was so bad the other students + faculty were unable to be near them for the smell. (This is from memory so the details may be slightly off but that is the story as I recall it.)

After eating those, it wasn't my breath that was a problem for people. Everyone could smell garlic emanating from my pores from 10 feet away. I could walk toward someone, with my mouth closed, and they could instantly smell it. The next day, I could smell it on my bed bed sheets and on my clothes. It was pretty potent.

I would love to try to brew a 1 gallon batch of a garlic beer. I think it would be awesome, but 5 gallons may be a little too much, especially if I'm the only one drinking it. Maybe a garlic IPA...

Back