Gardening: My Tomatoe and Pepper Progress

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked a few for farmers market trades today. 1365grams worth mostly in aji arnaucho off just 2 tiny plants. Got a guy who wants all the arnaucho. Gunna take the load of supers too and see what kind of interest there is at the market.
B7L0kn7.jpg

ShFIxiz.jpg

Have you done anything with, or used those Sugar Rush peppers yet? I picked some seeds up last winter and grew a half dozen plants.... they went crazy and I have a bunch of them. I have a half gallon fermenting right now, and I will have at least that many again in the freezer. They had an intriguing description, but wondering about any actual, practical experience with them. Thanks

Not sure how I missed this thread...... a few photos of some of the summer harvest. Basically done with everything at this point, other than trying to milk out some more peppers before the first frost hits. Got some of them moved into a recently added greenhouse/shed....hopping that gets me a couple more weeks on each end of the season going forward.
thumbnail_IMG_2833.jpg thumbnail_IMG_2897.jpg thumbnail_IMG_2976.jpg thumbnail_IMG_2975.jpg thumbnail_IMG_3166.jpg thumbnail_IMG_3278.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2833.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2897.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2976.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_2975.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_3166.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_3278.jpg

SRP makes killler hot pepper rings. Either normal or sweet pickle brine. Even green they are good for pepper rings.
bmylWQI.jpg

weqaHVa.jpg
Do you pressure can your peppers? If so, what’s your secret? Those look great! I’ve never caned any that didn’t basically turn to mush without adding a metric ton of pickling crisp (yuck).

Do you pressure can your peppers? If so, what’s your secret? Those look great! I’ve never caned any that didn’t basically turn to mush without adding a metric ton of pickling crisp (yuck).

I just put 50/50 water and distilled vinegar in a jar. I don't do any cooking. Then refrigerate. I do this with all sorts of sliced peppers and they do not turn to mush.

I just put 50/50 water and distilled vinegar in a jar. I don't do any cooking. Then refrigerate. I do this with all sorts of sliced peppers and they do not turn to mush.

I started going the same route and I agree it’s a good way to go. Was hoping to find a way to use pantry space instead of refrigerator space though. SHMBO doesn’t partake in the bounty, so maintaining room for “my worthless non-edibles” is getting more difficult each year.

No cook. Add warm but not hot brine and toss it in the fridge. I use a 50/50 mix too. Sweet pickle you can use no water if you wish. Its mainly just vinegar and sugar.

I prefer rice vinegar actually. Its not quite as harsh as white distilled. It is not quite 5% though. Usually around 4-4.5%.

Buy one of them tiny fridges. :D Use it for stuff like kraut too.

Last edited:
Are you going to try and over-winter them?
I have had some success overwintering some pepper plants ..... although, it seems to get to be long here in Iowa...... basically, got to get them in in the next few days it looks like and get them through until May next spring. Last year I had a Datil, a peach ghost and 2 tobasco peppers make it through. Actually, the one Tobasco has made it through 2 winters now and this was its third summer.

Ugh snow, dang! Haha, picked up plants and huddled them up with tarps hope they will live. Couldnt get tomatoes, rip.
20191009_191520.jpeg
20191009_191543.jpeg

My neighbor thought she was growing Carolina Reapers (just to see if they grew in California :rolleyes:) but these don't look like any Reaper I've ever seen. Is there enough here to guess what they really are?
not-reapers.png

Dont think I updated, it got to 12 here. 12 that night. Haha, been 80 since. Yeah, nothing lived but herbs.

Let us know how the okra do for you. I was split doing them this year, but ultimately didn't. Next year will be different!

Update:
For me containers are the way to go with okra. I harvested a fair amount from two containers. Might work better if I started inside and got them outside right when temps were good. Probably could get a couple more weeks... Seems like production really got started when things started cooling off. I started from seed outside in containers.

I used 12'' containers. They worked fine. I don't know if a little bigger would work better or not. The one thing you want is something to weigh the container down. The wind caught the plants a few times and blew them over.

Overall I'm happy with how it went. Probably needs a bit more experimentation. Different varieties?

Update:
For me containers are the way to go with okra. I harvested a fair amount from two containers. Might work better if I started inside and got them outside right when temps were good. Probably could get a couple more weeks... Seems like production really got started when things started cooling off. I started from seed outside in containers.
Every time I hear about okra, I think about the time my dad planted 4 rows of the stuff, probably 30-40 plants to the row, because he has no idea how they would produce. We had okra coming out our ears, couldn't go on any trips because they had to be picked every day, and were perpetually itchy. We had okra for every single meal and still gave away several grocery bags a week!

I've got jalapenos, banana peppers, roma tomatoes, beef steak tomatoes, and basil. They are all bearing fruit right now :)
That is really early. It has been way too cold here for anything like that. You must have gotten a really early start.

I got my Orange Pepperoncinis, Hot Banana, and Jalapeno started last Sunday. This weekend I will be starting about 40 tomato plants to split between myself and father-in-law. Mostly 1lb+ varieties this year since canning the small ones turned out to be a massive job. Still have a major stockpile of tomatoes to use.

Mine are still indoors (peppers) due to still winter, and now the aphids are attacking them, hope they survive till spring.

I’m still about a week out from planting. I think it’s safe temp wise, but we can’t catch a break from the rain!
Added the first of 3 planned “offshoots” tonight to plant some hops. Anybody know of good companions to grow in the same bed with hops? I wanted to build the bed big enough to no worry about it getting root bound in the next couple years, but it also seems a waste of space.

BF11C489-CDBB-40A5-B4E4-ED1FB6C99C4B.jpeg

D14FF503-479F-442E-A5F2-10927691AD5E.jpeg

I've only planted a few varieties so far this year, but I have Thai, Biquinho Red, and Fresno peppers up good. I also planted seeds that I saved from last year for Puya (a smaller and much hotter variety of Guajillo) and got terrible germination, but the two that did come up look really good and I saw another one sprouting this morning. When I get home (I'm in Texas now and kind of stuck here for a while) I will plant 7-Pot Yellow, some mild habanero, serrano, and a ghost x jalapeno pepper that my brother gave me a packet of seeds; also will get my tomato seeds and lots of flower seeds going.

I also will probably start some more Puya seeds and put them on a heat mat to see if that helps. I've never seen Puya seeds for sale; I don't know why because they are very tasty when eaten fresh as well as dried. I got mine from some dried peppers at a Mexican grocery store.

Last edited:
If you could only grow one variety of pepper, what would it be? I'm leaning toward Fresno chilis as they seem like a good all-around chili, they are very seldom in the grocery since jalapenos took over, and I know they are well suited for my climate. (USDA Zone 9b)

If you could only grow one variety of pepper, what would it be? I'm leaning toward Fresno chilis as they seem like a good all-around chili, they are very seldom in the grocery since jalapenos took over, and I know they are well suited for my climate. (USDA Zone 9b)

That's a tough one. Probably serrano peppers.

Cayenne are very versatile. I'd just grow those I think. Sauce, flakes, raw in stuff.

Back