Gardening: My Tomatoe and Pepper Progress

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started the Puya and red Manzano seeds today. (I don't know if the Puya seeds are viable) Still haven't totally figured out what other varieties to plant, but should mostly get that sorted out by next week. (eeny meeny miny moe...)

Anyone grown Biquinho before and can tell me what to expect?

Where did you get puya seed and have you used that vendor before with success?

I don't remember the sauce name, comes in a white bottle with red text, we had it at work. Puya is in it. Great sauce.

My SIL grew these last year - quite disturbing...
41X6jlVyHCL.jpg

Even worse, she got the peter seed from her boss...

I have one of those plants growing now. Got it from a coworker who has saved seed for three years now.

Where did you get puya seed and have you used that vendor before with success?

I don't remember the sauce name, comes in a white bottle with red text, we had it at work. Puya is in it. Great sauce.

I bought a packet of dried Puya peppers from a Mexican grocer and I planted some of the seeds. Got pretty poor germination, but the ones that did sprout were vigorous.

FubWfVKZSCyfMbfK8

I tried attaching a picture of the package of dried peppers, but the upload failed and I can't remove the bad link. (I hate whatever forum software this is)

Neem will only kill good bugs if they eat it. Good bugs dont eat plants but they might eat bugs that ate your plants.

Ive drenched a plant with neem that had ants farming the aphids. Didnt seem to hurt the ants at all. Sure killed the aphids though.

In some cases it will coat their breathing systems/holes. That said, the only thing I wouldn't use neem on would be a plant that had a healthy population of lady bug larvae.

Yeah, if you see a bunch of lady bug larva on a plant LEAVE IT ALONE!!!! They are voracious predators.

I don't use chemicals to kill bugs in my garden, I use dish soap, garlic, and more natural things and my hands. However, I don't have a large garden.

I am growing peppers for the first time this year. I have Jalapeno, Habanero, Tequila Sunrise, and a couple varieties of bell peppers. The Bells are going to town, I will have more than I can eat. Fortunately, family is close by.

Also a couple of tomato plants. Tons of herbs. And a few other things. I made a raised garden out of pallets on saw horses and growing in pots and window box type planters. I had to build a cage over it to keep the squirrels from eating my plants.

I have severely expanded my garden this year. After a small group of tomato and pepper plants last year (25-30 total) I have tripled that amount! My "downfall" was buying about a dozen packets of seeds and getting close to 90-95% germination of heirloom/Roma/San Marzano tomatoes and hananero/bell/banana/cayenne/poblanos peppers. My bok choy is going bonkers!

I have had to pinch off some early blossoms so the plants grow rather than fruit at this point. My biggest issue has been running out of potting soil, but I believe I have a solution for that problem. Happy gardening everyone!

This is what I am going to do. Was going to t off mainline but decide who cares. The main line is cheap and if one goes down, then I don't have to fart w 3 or whatever. So 50 drips straight off it. Thinking, take 100 ft 1/4 inch and cutting into 50 2 foot lengths. And then on bench hooking up drip stakes on one end and two way straight 1/4 barbs on other end. Then lay drip line and punch at pools. ?? Anyone do this or am I laying the foundation here? There are reports of drip clogging but hope elevated stakes help with that. Seems obvious that on ground would clog.
Screenshot_20190503-225552_Samsung%20Internet.jpeg

@applescrap At that scale, look into using "drip tape". It's a thinwall black plastic hose (about 3/4" iirc) with built-in emitters every 12 or 18 inches. I used it in my garden in central Texas 20-something years ago and it was wonderful. I ran it about about 11 psi. I was growing beets, green beans, peppers, broccoli, and all kinds of stuff in 100+ degree heat and full sun. (okay, the peppers in full summer sun are not all that impressive, but the broc and the beets are) The stuff is cheap and easy to use, but not sure how it will work with pots instead of on the ground with row crops.

Awesome ideas, yeah, this is a pot setup. I wonder if having the stakes elevated will help with clogging.

I used hot water from espresso machine, dipped the end in and the fittings slid on like buttah. Made 35 of them. Cut 35, 2 ft 4 in lengths or so, and then put barb on one end sprayer on other. Next lay half in line and start poking holes.

This started growing in my compost bin a few weeks ago. I was going to remove it but it has taken over so I will let it go and do it's thing. This morning I noticed this blossom (bigger than my fist!)... Any guesses as to what it may be? I don't recall recently having squash or melon.
IMG_20190505_081257892.jpeg
IMG_20190505_081312560.jpeg

This started growing in my compost bin a few weeks ago. I was going to remove it but it has taken over so I will let it go and do it's thing. This morning I noticed this blossom (bigger than my fist!)... Any guesses as to what it may be? I don't recall recently having squash or melon.View attachment 625505View attachment 625506

That's an Audrey II. Google it. Special feeding instructions, be forewarned.

Dude... I haven't fed it a crumb. The only water it's gotten was from rain. It has done all of that growth from the compost alone.

I should probably get out of it's way!

Edit: Ok, good one! Just saw the Audrey 2. I got caught lookin'! Lol

Last edited:
This started growing in my compost bin a few weeks ago. I was going to remove it but it has taken over so I will let it go and do it's thing. This morning I noticed this blossom (bigger than my fist!)... Any guesses as to what it may be? I don't recall recently having squash or melon.View attachment 625505View attachment 625506

You’ve got squash there. Could be from a three year old seed. Doesn’t need to be recent, they are quite resilient

Went well and quick. No leaks, timer set and tapping each line into the main worked perfect. No problem with pressure. Thrilled. Cant wait to get the flower pots. Going to keep seed in fridge? How do you guys store seed?
Screenshot_20190505-170315_Gallery.jpeg
20190505_173035.jpeg
Screenshot_20190505-170326_Gallery.jpeg
20190505_120703.jpeg

The upstairs crew i have to move from east to west windows DAILY. The 5 on the right are my best aji panca. Big one in the middle is Joe's Long Cayenne.
OLN2LvV.jpg

Bonnets i brought inside before temps dropped. Didnt want to chance them in the rain and upper 40s.
O29mMnJ.jpg

The weather didnt seem to bother the others too much.
zjDFVo1.jpg

5 more panca i have as backups/extras. First ones are going outside tomorrow.
8jIBZOk.jpg

Couple extra Bolsa de Dulce.....Really nice little guys once they start to go.
j1w7w4Z.jpg

The Liana beans i sprouted. Totally impressed with the germination rate.
pzHUlTN.jpg

Last edited:
Burr Gherkins are a go. Took them and the Liana beans upstairs for some windowsill light today
UW9PWlI.jpg

Spicy sweet Turkish bells are in their home...got two more in reserve also...might try them in ground
CQf7OSS.jpg

Bonnets (on left) and brown bhuts ive been protecting
7fTitCC.jpg

Aji Pancas are loving the real sun
vJi4OE4.jpg

hC3ue5t.jpg

Considering all the screwups I had this year, I see buds on my Hot Banana and Orange Pepperoncini. Still have them under COB LED grow lights and just got done hitting them with a round of Actinovate. Weather here has been too rainy for the past several weeks to get stuff out.

Hopefully no more plant deaths. Lost a lot of my White Tomatoes so I am starting them over. New equipment bugs.

I ate a banana pepper off my plant tonight. WTH, I guess I got the hot kind. Woof.

Im growing 2 of those. Both hot varieties because the mild ones are common at my markets. They make great pickled pepper rings for sammies and burgers.

Just harvested some bok choy due to a few of them flowering. Don't want to end up with a bitter vegetable!

Cukes and tomatoes are flowering also as are my peppers. Will put the remainder of my seedlings in the ground this weekend (hopefully today) so I don't lose them. I am out of container space so some have to be planted the old fashioned way.

Edit: every time I try to upload a pic I get the prompt "need valid forum id"... What can I do to post pics?

Pancas love their bed. I still have 5 backups i can probably think about using now.
FDQBCl2.jpg

The Aji lane of Sugar Rush Peach and the 2 on top are the Bolsa De Dulce.
lzf1E3V.jpg

4 on left C Reaper x2 and and CCN Dragons Breath x2
4 in middle all Juanitos seedlings...JPGS x2, Scotch Brain and Scorpion
3 on right...2 TFMs and a MWCH Naglah Brown
2 in background are overwintered Aji Arnaucho from TGCM seeds.
K1baT9c.jpg

Crazy JPGS is loaded with blooms already and has a pod or two. I still got one more JPGS that had cold damage in shipping. Its really starting to look nice though
O3hYuSd.jpg

Jala patch with a couple Antep Aci Dolma in the front. They should rocket now in ground.
ae216vD.jpg

Couple more Anteps and a Joes Long Cayenne
zMAPm37.jpg

nxusEjN.jpg

My Mini Reds
ka5bmMt.jpg

One lost a branch
6IftYOJ.jpg

And the Aji Oro
F6BDyL9.jpg

Bonnets have been struggling between the rain, temps and having to take them inside. Now its either make it or dont. I got one more that is really nice but its a TFM and not a Dreadie.
AIn1Mjg.jpg

Beautiful evilgrin. My seeds are doing meh, it's been cold.

And it friggin snowed. That's right, snowed effing hard to and has been 30s all week.

My plants indoors under the lights are eat-up with aphids. (no idea where they came from) I've tried DE, diazinon, and some kind of spray stuff from Bayer. What works the best is brushing them off with a little tiny paintbrush and then hosing the plants down with cold water, but the next day they are back again. The biggest plants just shake them off, but they've killed a few of the small ones. If i could put them outside I think they'd be okay but it's too freakin' cold. I need to see if I have anything systemic to use that's safe for peppers... Cygon, maybe?

Also, the monarch butterflies are arriving, and there's almost no milkweed up yet because the ground is still cold. It will grow like crazy as soon as the ground is warm, I just hope that's not too late this year.

I'm in Oregon with a relatively mild climate and I never plant out until the last week in May at the earliest. May storms can be brutal on a crop.

Back