Garden Hose Water Heater

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Normans54

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking for a way to heat water from my garden hose to use for things like mixing with PBW or as part of my conical's CIP cycle. Ideally, I would like something that is inline (or at least relatively compact) and only requires 110v power. Given that it is not for heating strike/sparge water, it doesn't need to get super hot (140-150°F should do the trick). I am also going to add a spray nozzle to the hose which should reduce the flow rate (thereby making heating more manageable with 110v power.) Does anybody have any suggestions on how to make this happen? Thanks so much!

I don’t see any way you could produce enough heat for this to work. Either use a 230v inline instant hot water heater, or a heat stick in a bucket or kettle, then a pump to spray it. That’s what I do for CIP.

I don't know about 150°F, but there is this thing called a "suicide shower" that's basically an in-line electric water heater that screws onto the shower neck and scares the living bejeezus out of any sentient being :D

Cheers!

120v is not powerful enough to do it. At 1 quart per minute flow rate, 5500 watts was heating +100 F. 120v is a quarter the power so you would get 25F of rise at 1 quart per minute.

You can use that, just be sure to plan your usage. Once you run out of hot water, it will take time to recover.

Also be aware of your brewing environment and know what AC outlets share breakers. That thing draws 12 amps. When it working, you are getting close to a 15 amp breaker's max draw. Again, you can use but it will take some planning and preparation.

Tankless water heater, if you have 3 or 4 dedicated 40A 240V breakers in your service panel. Heating water like you're suggesting requires a shiatload of electrical power.

If you're willing to use propane and you have DIY ability, you could adapt an RV water tank heater and water pump. Those can often heat water up to ~140F.

120v is not powerful enough to do it. At 1 quart per minute flow rate, 5500 watts was heating +100 F. 120v is a quarter the power so you would get 25F of rise at 1 quart per minute.
Not if you recirculate the PBW solution. I use the BrewHardware 1650W RIMS to heat my PBW solution by recirculating it thorugh my 5 gallon HD cooler.

Besides using it as intended as a RIMS, I also use it to clean my pump, hoses, RIMS and plate chiller by recirculating hot PBW solution through them.

If I pre-fill it with hot water (I use left over strike water) it doesn't take long to heat it to 140 F.

Back