Garden Hose Water Heater

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Normans54

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking for a way to heat water from my garden hose to use for things like mixing with PBW or as part of my conical's CIP cycle. Ideally, I would like something that is inline (or at least relatively compact) and only requires 110v power. Given that it is not for heating strike/sparge water, it doesn't need to get super hot (140-150°F should do the trick). I am also going to add a spray nozzle to the hose which should reduce the flow rate (thereby making heating more manageable with 110v power.) Does anybody have any suggestions on how to make this happen? Thanks so much!

Cyclman

I Sell Koalas
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t see any way you could produce enough heat for this to work. Either use a 230v inline instant hot water heater, or a heat stick in a bucket or kettle, then a pump to spray it. That’s what I do for CIP.

day_trippr

Moderna Or Bust! :D
Reaction score
I don't know about 150°F, but there is this thing called a "suicide shower" that's basically an in-line electric water heater that screws onto the shower neck and scares the living bejeezus out of any sentient being :D

Cheers!

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
120v is not powerful enough to do it. At 1 quart per minute flow rate, 5500 watts was heating +100 F. 120v is a quarter the power so you would get 25F of rise at 1 quart per minute.

DonT

Reaction score
I'm getting this to install in my garage.... Hot Water Heater
I'm also not expecting miracles. Maybe you could rig something?

RufusBrewer

Reaction score
You can use that, just be sure to plan your usage. Once you run out of hot water, it will take time to recover.

Also be aware of your brewing environment and know what AC outlets share breakers. That thing draws 12 amps. When it working, you are getting close to a 15 amp breaker's max draw. Again, you can use but it will take some planning and preparation.

DonT

Reaction score
I have it on a 20a circuit with a fridge that draws 6.5a, so yeah... it's close, but it should work.